VMware Communities
squaack
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion and Boot Camp

I have installed VMWare Fusion and setup a Windows XP virtual machine with my software. I would like to use Boot Camp to boot into the Windows XP virtual machine without having to go through my Mac OS X. How is this done? Whenever I search for this answer I always get explainations on how to use Boot Camp to create the partition then migrate it to VMWare Fusion.

Quick notes, I would like to boot to Windows XP without having to redo my entire setup.

Thanks,

SQuaack

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Quick notes, I would like to boot to Windows XP without having to redo my entire setup.

If you want to use Boot Camp then you need to use the Boot Camp Assistant (/Applications/Utilities/ Boot Camp Assistant) to create a Boot Camp partition on the Macintosh HD and then install Windows XP or Windows Vista. After that if you want to run the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine then just click on the Boot Camp partition entry on the Virtual Machine Library.

As far as going V2P (Virtual to Physical) it is doable although not straight forward in any respect and you'd be better of just installing Windows on the Boot Camp partition from scratch and in the end it will probably take less time and be less problematic overall and in the long run. If you really want to V2P then search the forum and or the Internet for V2P and or Virtual to Physical. Also I have to say as a general rule I think if you have to ask about V2P then you'd be better off just forgetting about it and getting on with installing Windows natively on the Boot Camp partition and going from there because if you had the technology and tools in place to do this you'd already be doing it and not having to ask.

0 Kudos
chrisott
Contributor
Contributor

I have been looking in to this myself, and it does look to be a bit complex. I think it will be worthwhile though, as Windows running out of my Boot Camp partition feels much snappier than running under VMWare.

You can find some good information to start with right here:

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/resources/424

Not sure why WoodyZ felt the need to respond the way he did.

Good luck!

Ott

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure why WoodyZ felt the need to respond the way he did.

Because I have found from many years of experience that if one has to ask how to do this then one doesn't have the tools, knowledge and ability to do it and the absolute overwhelming majority of the users that have to ask and even if given the explicit details fail to be able to understand and accomplish it and this is why I as well as others that know what they're doing in this area typically advise clean building vs v2p. Now I never said it couldn't be done but it is not something the ordinary user has the tools, knowledge and ability to do without a steep learning cure as well as having to acquire the necessary tools or learn how to use the tools that already have to do it and by the time one is all done learning and archiving a successful outcome and the time it takes to do it they're better off clean building. Those that can or do will typically not have to ask as they are competent enough in this area to ascertain the information on their own without asking.

I know this sounds harsh but sometimes the truth hurts.

0 Kudos
squaack
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you on assuming WoodyZ.

0 Kudos