VMware Communities
henryos
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion Windows 10 really slow

Hi all, let me preface by saying I'm a complete tech noob and don't have much experience with emulators of background computer stuff. 

I run VMware Fusion 12 on my Mac (dual core i 5) with windows 10 as the virtual machine.  performance over the last couple of months has been ok but not amazing, but I only really need to run word and some non-cpu intensive programs on it.  over the last week it has been super slow, chrome pages (error not enough memory, i cleaned out the cache but didn't change much) and ms teams have been crashing constantly and i cant work with it anymore... please help!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Host CPU? (cores)

VM CPU configuration?

Host RAM?

VM memory configuration?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
henryos
Contributor
Contributor

its a dual core mac, i have it set to 2 cores on the virtual machine, and have split the RAM evenly between the host and VM at 4096 MB each 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try reducing to a single CPU for the VM, it is usually best to allocate fewer CPUs/cores than you physically have available, not all of them.

What type of disk does your Mac have? That could also be a factor, I would have said mostly to boot Windows but it may also be making use of the pagefile with only 4GB of memory..

If the above CPU reduction doesn’t make a difference, your Mac might just not be powerful enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

That's indeed not very powerful and the apps that you need (both Chrome as well as MS Teams) are not exactly light even while you seem to think they are.

For using Chrome in a VM it is important to disable GPU acceleration.

https://www.lifewire.com/hardware-acceleration-in-chrome-4125122

and guest what... as MS Teams actually uses chromium underneath, they have the same issue.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/microsoft-teams-disable-hardware-acceleration...

Hopefully that helps in making those apps to behave again.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I'll echo the comments.  Windows 10 really needs 2 cores to run well, and Mac OS actually requires 2 cores to really run at all.  A dual-core machine is very minimal to run a Win 10 virtual machine.  If you can run Linux and Chromium, you'll have better performance.

0 Kudos
pjmoradiya
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

I am having same issue.

I am running Windows 10 Pro on VmWare Fusion with MacPro configurations as Intel Xeon E5 6-core Processor, 64GB RAM, AMD Fire Pro D500 3GB Graphics. Out of which I have allocated 3-core and 20GB RAM to VmWare windows. Still the CPU Usage is very high and it is always 100%. Am I missing any drivers that I need to install?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

What OS and Fusion versions are you running?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@pjmoradiya Additional questions:

• In Windows, what does Task Manager or Performance Monitor say about usage of CPU from within the Windows VM? Trying to figure out if the CPU consumption you see on the Mac has any correlation with CPU that is being reported from within the VM.
  • Do you have any antivirus installed in the guest?
  • Do you have VMware Tools installed (and if so, what version)?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos