VMware Communities
wrhahn
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion V6.0.2 USB Keyboard and USB Mouse Stop Working on either MacBook OS X 10.9 Sleep/Wake Lid Close/Open or USB Device Unplug/Re-plugin

VMWare Fusion V6.0.2 USB Keyboard and USB Mouse Stop Working on either MacBook OS X 10.9 Sleep/Wake Lid Close/Open or USB Device Unplug/Re-plugin

SOLUTION Workaround Summary: One way I have fixed/workedaround this problem is to Install Fusion v6.0.1 on top of v6.0.2 on my MacBook Retina.

I am sharing this problem Solution Workaround Experience because:

A) I hope is saves others time in their problem determination travels

B) I need YOU TO REPLY if you have experienced this problem

C) I have opened a Support Ticket on this issue and VMWare has been responsive, and I will update this thread when I hear more

>>>  Fusion v6.0.2 vs. v6.0.1 Reproducible Proof of USB Keyboard & MOUSE Problems on suspend/resume and/or USB Device Unplug/Replugin <<<

I tested the following repeatedly with consistent results:

1) Fusion v6.0.2 MacBook Retina OS X 10.9 with USB External Keyboard stops working and

USB External Mouse stops working on Host and Guest

when USB devices are unplugged/re-plugged and/or MacBook goes into lid-close/open sleep/wake

while VMWare Fusion v6.0.2 is running Windows Guests (e.g. tested with Win7 & WinXP)

2) Suspending all VMWare Guest(s) fixes USB Keyboard & Mouse on Host (they start working again) AND

Keyboard/Mouse start working on Guest when vmware guest is resumed

3) Installing Fusion v6.0.1 on top of MacBook Retina OS X 10.9 with Fusion v6.0.2 fixes problem:

v6.0.1 system works fine: USB Keyboard and USB Mouse work fine during

MacBook Sleep/Wake Lid Close/Open as well as when the USB devices are unplugged/replugged

4) I have also tested this on a SECOND completely different MacBook Retina with a DIFFERENT USB Keyboard and Mouse

5) Therefore, this seems to prove to me that v6.0.2 is the problem, as opposed to my MacBook, OS X, Keyboard or Mouse.

I hope these rather extensive problem determination tactics help to isolate the problem more completely to Fusion v6.0.2 and also help VMWare move towards a conclusion and fix to this RATHER CRITICAL problem/Bug.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Maurice78
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm this problem. Since installing VMWare Fusion PRO 6.0.2 on a MacBook Pro Retina with OS X Mavericks my USB keyboard and mouse do not respond when suspending and then resuming the host while the guest is running. Shutting down the guest will restore the functionality of my USB keyboard and mouse.

Also unplugging the USB keyboard/mouse does not solve the problem. Hope they will fix this inconvenience soon.

extrablood
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same trouble though I can't confirm it only started with 6.0.2 as that's the version that I started with.

Having to stop/start several VMs multiple times a day to get my keyboard and mouse working is certainly an inconvenience that I'm looking forward to not having.

0 Kudos
Kazmar
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm this problem also. Since installing VMWare Fusion 6.0.2 on a MacBook Pro Retina with OS X Mavericks my USB mouse does not respond when suspending and then resuming the host while the guest is running. Shutting down the guest will restore the functionality of my USB mouse.  My guest OS is Windows 8, and putting the Guest in sleep and waking the guest gets the mouse working again in both Windows and the Mac OS without restarting the Windows OS.  Also, the problem doesn't happen when using the mouse via a USB hub, and the USB hub can be used after the problem occurs to get the USB mouse working again.  As reported by others, unplugging/plugging the USB mouse does not solve the problem. I also hope they will fix this inconvenience soon.

0 Kudos
mmcnamara
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue with 6.0.2 and have had to revert back to 6.0.1 because this is such a significant inconvenience.

0 Kudos
GarryCooper
Contributor
Contributor

Adding to the responses. Same problem with MB Air, OSX 10.9, Fusion 6.02 but with bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Hoping for a response from VMWare soon.

0 Kudos
msacks3
Contributor
Contributor

I have experienced the same problem with a USB mouse on a mid-2012 MacbookPro running Mavericks and Fusion 6.02: if I unplug the mouse and then plug it in, the mouse doesn't work.  I have noticed that after a while (5 to 10 minutes) the mouse starts working again without my needing to shutdown or suspend the Fusion session. I am running Windows 7 inside Fusion.

0 Kudos
Kazmar
Contributor
Contributor

From VMware Inc. Global Support Services...

"We would like to inform you that the cause of the issue has been identified from our development team and will be resolved in the next update of VMware Fusion 6 ( build 6.0.3 ) although we will not be able to comment about the scheduled date of the release of the build."

"As of now, we will archive this case, and would provisionally close this case, but please do not hesitate to contact us whenever you face any kind of issues related to VMware, and as always, it will be a pleasure assisting you."

"To reach us, call us @ +1-877-486-9273, then press ' 4 ' and then ' 1 for Fusion ' to directly reach our queue. We are available from Monday to Friday from 6 am to 6 pm Pacific Standard Time."

0 Kudos
jsh1234
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with my Logitech M500 USB corded mouse. I'm running macbook pro with OS X 10.8.5 and using fusion Professional Version 6.0.2 (1398658) to run Windows 8.1. This is very annoying problem and forces me to reboot to get my logitech M500 mouse to work. Is there any official workaround? (I haven't tried the downgrade fusion option posted in the original message.)

0 Kudos
magicalyak
Contributor
Contributor

Experiencing the exact same issue. I had no clue it was Fusion! I shut down my VM and magically the mouse works.  I'm glad I learned that but this issue needs to be solved ASAP.

0 Kudos
bernardvandaele
Contributor
Contributor

Confirm exactly the same. Was worried about a hardware defect on my USB ports.  Suspending the VM's helps indeed. Hope they fix it soon.

0 Kudos
nbrosnahan
Contributor
Contributor

Confirmed on 6.0.2 and the workaround works for me as well.

0 Kudos
adb100
Contributor
Contributor

Confirmed on 6.0.2 and work a round worked for me also.

0 Kudos
klowenst
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue - same resolution. downgraded to 6.0.1 and now working as expected

0 Kudos
santanaf
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue. Not interested in downgrading so we'd love a fix.

0 Kudos
chridelg
Contributor
Contributor

Confirmed. This significantly affects my work.

0 Kudos
cronuscronus
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. VMWare, please fix this problem. It is insanely annoying.

0 Kudos
Shoganator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am also experiencing the exact same problem with Fusion 9.0.2. I was happily working on Fusion 8, until the other week when I decided to take the plunge and upgrade. Bad move, as I have not noticed any benefits, but had two annoying issues now, including this one.

My system specs:

OS X 10.9.2

2.4GHz Intel Core i7 MacBook Retina

8GB 1600MHz DDR3,

Fusion Professional 9.0.2

A fix would be great guys Smiley Happy

My personal blog: http://www.shogan.co.uk .::. Twitter: shogan85 .::. if an answer has helped or solved your question, please don't forget to mark as "Answered" or "Helpful"!
0 Kudos
benhainesuk
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue, it is a royal PITA to keep pausing/resuming to fix the problem. Come on VMWare, this is a bug so please fix it!

0 Kudos
peterzz
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue. Mid 2011 Macbook pro running windows 2012. Mouse gets completely "stuck" inside of VM window and the experience becomes unusable. Restarting/suspending VM does not solve it. Restarting Mac entirely sometimes solves it. VMWare fusion 6.03 does NOT solve it for me. I don't have this problem at all with a VM based on Windows Server 2008 R2.

0 Kudos