VMware Communities
wrhahn
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion V5 - Keyboard Mappings NO LONGER Repeat Keystrokes

In VMWare Fusion V4.x and before, keyboard shortcuts, when held down, would repeat the keystrokes.  In VMWare Fusion V5.x Keyboard Shortcuts NO LONGER Repeat!  For example, I used to map [Alt]+[DnArrow] == [PgDn] because that was an easier key-combo than [Fn]+[DnArrow] to achieve paging down a document... and when I held those two keys down it would repeatedly page down until I released those keys.

Well, now in VMWare V5.x, when I map multi-key keyboard shortcuts in VMWare Fusion > Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Key Mappings....   The keyboard shortcuts, when used in a Windows Guest, DO NOT repeat the keystroke when I hold down the keys!

This used to work in VMWare V4.x and before.  Now in VMWare Fusion V5.x multi-key keyboard shortcuts DO NOT REPEAT multi-key shortcuts when the keys are held down.

Example:

1) Keyboard Mapping for VMWare fusion of [Ctrl]+[D] = Forward Delete

2) When used in a Windows Guest this will delete

3) If I held down [Ctrl]+[D] for several seconds in VMWare V4.x, it would repeatedly delete multiple characters in a document.

4) In VMWare V5.x it DOES NOT

This was a VERY USEFUL use case for keyboard mappings.  I used it a lot for all sorts of things, including: Ctrl+D for Delete, Opt+[J,K,L,I] for keyboard cursor key navigation, [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[ArrowUp-Dn] for PgUp-Dn, etc.

is TRULY UNFORTUNATE that in VMWare Fusion V5 multiple-key-combinations in Keyboard Mappings do not result in REPEATING Keystrokes when held down in a Windows Guest.

This seems like an oversight as opposed to "working as designed".

It would be very useful to have the OLD BEHAVIOR BACK at some time in the near future.

If anyone has noticed this behavior and/or agrees with me, can you please reply to this thread/post?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you happen to upgraden the OS at the same time?  Apple's now disabled repeating keys by default.

0 Kudos
wrhahn
Contributor
Contributor

Good question, but no, Mac OS X is set to "Key Repeat" keys that are held down.  It works for single keys in Mac and inside VM.  It's only the key-combination keyboard mappings that don't work.

Thanks for asking.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for reporting this. This has been fixed, and should be included in the next release/update to Workstation.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This issue has been fixed now, please update your Fusion version to 5.0.2, thx.

0 Kudos
wrhahn
Contributor
Contributor

FIXED!

I just upgreaded to VMWare Fusion V5.0.2 and this issue is RESOLVED!!!

Thank You VMWare!!!!  🙂

0 Kudos