VMware Communities
Lowflyer1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Fusion Pro locked up

Hi,

I'm running VMWare FusionPro V 12.2.5 on a Macbook Pro 16 inch 2019 version with Ventura 13.4.1 (c) . I've been running Windows 7 on there for a loooonnng time!

Now when I start up VMWare, it directly opens Faststone Image Viewer instead of me having to open it from the desktop. When it opens, it's locked up. No keyboard or keystrokes have any effect. This happened on the older version of VMWare, so I updated to this release, but it still happens.

When I try to do something with my mouse, I get this message in the top right corner: To release your mouse press Ctl-Command but nothing happens when I do that.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There should also be a Fusion menu option to "Send Ctrl-Alt-Del" to the guest if you can't do it via the keyboard.  

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sounds like you may be in unity mode.  Switch to windowed mode and you should be able to use windows task manager to kill the offending application.

0 Kudos
Lowflyer1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much! I guess I'm going to show some ignorance here, but I don't know how to do that switch.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

In the fusion menu, under view, choose single window.

0 Kudos
Lowflyer1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. In my menu the Unity button is grayed out and it's on single window.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

OK, so it sounds like the application is maximized or similar.  If you load the VM and click the mouse in it, does either Alt-F4 respond (to close the focused application), or Ctrl-Alt-Ins (to bring up the Windows menu where you can launch Task Manager)?

0 Kudos
Lowflyer1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you also!

I tried the Alt-F4, I could figure that out on my Mac keyboard, but I can't find how to substitute for Ins on this keyboard.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There should also be a Fusion menu option to "Send Ctrl-Alt-Del" to the guest if you can't do it via the keyboard.  

Lowflyer1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It worked! After closing Faststone things ran a little slowly, but a restart of VMWare fixed that.

I think you and ColoradoMarmot for helping. I only use VMWare for this one app, so there's a lot I don't know.

Best regards,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos