VMware Communities
EmoryP
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion 7 error with OSX Guest

Hi,

I'm having issues with "vmrun runProgramInGuest" command line tool in VMWare Fusion 7.1.1

My command looks like this:

vmrun -gu user -gp password runprogramInGuest "/Users/build/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Mac OS X 64-bit.vmwarevm/Mac OS X 64-bit.vmx" -interactive /path/to/my/script.sh

It used to work, but now results in:

Error: Authentication failure or insufficient permissions in guest operating system

My host is running OSX 10.9 with all the latest patches, I'm having this trouble with guests running OSX 10.10 and 10.9 + Security Update 2015-004 1.0.  10.9 systems NOT running this security update do not have this problem.

I've reproduced with both VMWare Fusion 5.0.5 and 7.  I tried reinstalling OSX on my host, I've updated to the latest VMWare Tools, the only resolution I've been able to find is this one: VMware KB:     VixVM_LoginInGuest failure: Authentication failure or insufficient permissions in gue...but this article simply doesn't apply to VMWare Fusion the file "/etc/pam.d/vmware-guestd" doesn't even exist on my guests.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Might be due to missing option "-T fusion" in the command line.

See also: Re: vmrun tool doesn't work after the latest Mac-OS security update

Then again, it might be something else. But you're not alone on this.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
EmoryP
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Wila!  I'm glad I'm not alone!  Will add my voice to the thread you referenced.

0 Kudos