VMware Communities
VonMigsy
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion 7 crashes when directly using Bootcamp disk or partition.

Hello all. I am experiencing something odd. I tried to set up a bootcamp disk to be used directly in Vmware as i have done before. But VMware 7 can't load the bootcamp disk and then seems to screw up the disk partition afterwards.  I am on OS X 10.9.5. I installed vmware fusion7 so i can use it with an independent SSD Drive that has had windows 7 already previously installed (with the help of Bootcamp).

When setting up VMFusion, i selected the option to use the bootcamp disk directly.  VMFusion sets up as normally and gets to the windows 7 load screen. I log in and then VMware automatically installs VMware tools.

This is where it gets wonky

After vmware tools is done installing, it attempts to restart windows 7 but it never makes it to the log in screen. It resets to the default black screen and i have to click the play triangle to start it up again.  Repeat. I can't access my windows 7 drive from Vmwarefusion.

I am still able to boot directly into windows 7 bootcamp -- but now every time I shut down, i get an error message "windows - bad image."  This did not happen before i tried to get VMFusion to use that disk.

I thought this may have been because i'm using a SSD disk as a bootcamp disk, but this also happens when trying to use VMfusion 7, on an iMac with partitioned HDD.

Reinstalling vmwareFusion 6 works fine (now to deal with the Bad Image issue...deleting bootcamp meta data doesn't work.)

Anyone else experience this with the latest VMware fusion?    Found an answer? Help  and thanks.

-migs.

0 Kudos
0 Replies