VMware Communities
kungfuu72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Fusion 7 & Still no USB 3 drivers...

I'm a bit disappointed that even after upgrading from 6 to 7 that I still get no native VMWare USB 3.0 support for either Windows 7...

I do not know if they have it working for Windows 8.1 but it certainly is not working for my main Windows 7 VM.

Is the case really that technical that over an entire year, it could not have been implemented in 7? Help me understand.

Disappointed....

P.S. If anyone has found a solution, please intrigue me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

kungfuu72 wrote:  Help me understand.

This topic has already been covered ad nauseum! Smiley Sad

The bottom line is Windows 7 did not ship with in-box native USB 3 support and Microsoft has not provided any service pack or update to Windows 7 to provide in-box native USB 3 support.  Therefore this is a Microsoft issue not a VMware issue! Smiley Wink   VMware choose only to support native OS features and Windows 8/8.1 provides in-box native USB 3 support and as such VMware supports USB 3 in Windows 8/8.1.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

kungfuu72 wrote:  Help me understand.

This topic has already been covered ad nauseum! Smiley Sad

The bottom line is Windows 7 did not ship with in-box native USB 3 support and Microsoft has not provided any service pack or update to Windows 7 to provide in-box native USB 3 support.  Therefore this is a Microsoft issue not a VMware issue! Smiley Wink   VMware choose only to support native OS features and Windows 8/8.1 provides in-box native USB 3 support and as such VMware supports USB 3 in Windows 8/8.1.

0 Kudos
kungfuu72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You have indeed answered the question.

What a shame Microsoft...

0 Kudos
ErocMillsie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The solution, unfortunately, is to use any other virtualization software package (Parallels, Virtual Box, etc.)  as VMware is lazy and refuses to provide USB 3.0 Windows 7 drivers for OS X.  They have working drivers in Workstation 10 for Windows 7, so you could just ditch OS X and run Windows all the way around.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro and Early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina - OS X (Latest Release) - VMware Fusion (Latest Release)
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is my understanding that Windows 7 USB 3.0 Support under VMware Workstation is limited and does not work with all USB 3.0 Host Controllers.  You must just happen to have the one it works with! Smiley Wink

The bottom line is, if Microsoft had or would provide native USB 3.0 Support then VMware would provide more support then then they do!  This is a Microsoft issue and they very easily could have provided support in a Service Pack but they've chosen not to to get Users to upgrade to Windows 8.  It is nothing more then a marketing ploy, so complain to Microsoft!

0 Kudos