VMware Communities
mrfearless47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Fusion 6 crashes on 10.8.5 during installation

Any suggestions for successful install of VMWare 6 Fusion on a Mac Pro running OS X 10.8.5 (beta 7) or on an iMac running 10.9 (beta 7).  Crashes both machines.  Not a wise way to release software for new OS when they don't run on the OS in circulation.

mrf

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi mrfearless47,

Are you encountering the crash described in this other thread?  Fusion 6 Professional crashes on launch

If that isn't what you're seeing there, could you please attach one of the crash reports to a reply here in the forums?  Launch Applications > Utilities > Console and find the relevant VMware Fusion diagnostic report.  Attach the file by selecting "Use advanced editor" in the top-right corner and then choosing the Browse... button below; Please don't copy-and-paste!

Thanks,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mrfearless47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also, upgrading from VMWare Fusion 5 running Windows 7

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi mrfearless47,

Are you encountering the crash described in this other thread?  Fusion 6 Professional crashes on launch

If that isn't what you're seeing there, could you please attach one of the crash reports to a reply here in the forums?  Launch Applications > Utilities > Console and find the relevant VMware Fusion diagnostic report.  Attach the file by selecting "Use advanced editor" in the top-right corner and then choosing the Browse... button below; Please don't copy-and-paste!

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
mrfearless47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Right answer, not quite right approach to the solution.  Inexplicably, using the Terminal to delete the appropriate file kept telling me that "file not found".  So, I manually navigated to the folder, found the file that needed to be deleted, dragged it to the trash and, voila, everything worked.  Sometimes the terminal just doesn't like to work like Unix.  In any case, many thanks for the suggestion.  It led to the solution of the problem and all is well again.

mrf

0 Kudos
lgp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"...work like Unix." ????

Which Unix did you have in mind? I've never noticed any problems, and this worked fine for me. Of course I first looked in ~/Library and it wasn't there, then I realized that it was in the root Library. Is it possible that you did the same thing?

0 Kudos
mrfearless47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BSD Unix (aka Mac OS X 10.9, beta).  It is in the root library, but the instructions don't necessarily lead there.  It just turned out to be easier to find the file using the Finder and simply drag it to the trash.  Worked fine after that, so all is well.

0 Kudos
lgp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I dunno. Guess we found different instructions. The ones I used did specify /Library but I didn't pay attention so I looked in the wrong place at first.

0 Kudos