VMware Communities
ejem
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion (6) cannot open files in the "Steinberg VST Mixer Settings" format

Hi,

I just upgraded to VMware Fusion 6 and I can no longer open my VMs, neither create new ones.

Trying to open my old VMs only results in an "alert sound" from Fusion.

If I create a new VM and trying to save the "file/machine" (like for example "Ubuntu 64-bit.vmwarevm") I get a error message that says

An Error Occurred

"Ubuntu 64-bit.vmwarevm" could not be handled because VMware Fusion cannot open files in the  "Steinberg VST Mixer Settings" format

I've been using VMware Fusion for years, as well as Steinberg Cubase but now I'm stuck. This really sucks...

Any clue what to do?

vmware-fusion.jpg

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
changhai
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ejem,

This is another instance of the following thread.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/456218

I would download a steinberg Cubase tail version 7 to reproduce this issue. in the meanwhile, would you please help upload Fusion support bundle for our review?

1. Click VMware Fusion menu > Help > Collect Support Information to generate a *.zip file on the desktop.

2. Click "Use advance editor" of the edit to upload the .zip file to this thread.

Best Regards,

changhai

0 Kudos
ejem
Contributor
Contributor

OK thanks, but what kind of information am I upoading to the world in this zip-file?

I'd rather send it in an email or something similar instead of attaching it to this thread...

PS. I did a typo in the the error message above but the picture is ok, the text says "Ubuntu 64-bit.vmx" could not be handled... The file is saved as "Ubuntu 64-bit.vmwarevm" though

0 Kudos
changhai
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ejem,

The compress file includes some VMware Fusion & Mac OS X  related logs and configuration information.

If you do not like post Fusion bundle file to this thread, please send it to my email box:chjiang@vmware.com

Best Regards,

changhai

0 Kudos
ejem
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

do you think you can give me another address? Tried to send you the file but it's too big for your mail system...

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: sc9-mail1.vmware.com

chjiang@vmware.com
proofpoint-ib-vip.vmware.com #<proofpoint-ib-vip.vmware.com #5.7.0 smtp; 550 5.7.0 Message Size Violation> #SMTP#

0 Kudos
changhai
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ejem,

I downloaded/installed  a Cubase but failed to get activation code.

https://shop.steinberg.net/cgi-bin/dlreg?t=99iIZgMhJXEAkZWtOzCb&k=108629876

and then install Fusion 5.0.3 and Fusion 6.0, did not meet this issue. Smiley Sad

Best Regards,

changhai

0 Kudos
ejem
Contributor
Contributor

.vmx-files are on my computer associated with "Steinberg VST mixer settings", see attached screen dump, do you have the same? This is somehow related to the problem.

I have downgraded now to Fusion 5.0.3 and I can run my VMs again.

If you send me some other email address that can accept larger files I can send you the dump (vm-09-06-13.2104.zip is 5.4 MB)

Thanks for your help

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
karthikg2013
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks like uninstalling Cubase application from Mac fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

We'll, then change the association for .vmx files to VMware Fusion! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ejem
Contributor
Contributor

> We'll, then change the association for .vmx files to VMware Fusion!

I of course tried that but it didn't help. And uninstalling Cubase is not an option.

Fusion < 6 works fine, I have downgraded to 5.0.3 again.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

With VMware 5.0.3 installed does it still show .vmx is a "Steinberg VST mixer settings" file?

0 Kudos
karthikg2013
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interestingly reinstalling Cubase 7 with VMware Fusion 6 already present on the system fixes the issue Smiley Wink

Not sure how the UTI (Kind) of .vmx file remains as "VMware virtual machine configuration" after reinstalling Cubase

Can anyone else confirm if the above solution helps fix the issue?

0 Kudos
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert

I reproduced the problem with Cubase - apparently the problem happens if Fusion is not installed at all, and Cubase is installed with a clean Launch Services database. It then takes over the .vmx extension, and for some reason starting Fusion does not correctly register the .vmx filetype for it.

See my post here for a workaround: Re: VMWare Fusion 6 upgrade won't load virtual machines

0 Kudos
ejem
Contributor
Contributor

Yes thanks, reinstalling Cubase after having installed Fusion 6 fixed the problem for me (I'm using Cubase 7 BTW).

0 Kudos
demenas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Getting same "cannot open files in the "Steinberg VST Mixer Settings" format" with VMWare Fusion 6 Pro and I have tried the terminal unregister "Vubase 7.app" command it did not help.  I do indeed have Cubase 7 just like the command indicates.   Help!  Smiley Sad

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
ejem
Contributor
Contributor

The lsregister-trick works for me (Fusion 6 Pro)

Quit Fusion

"...lsregister -u /Applications/Cubase 7.app"

Start Fusion

"...lsregister /Applications/Cubase 7.app"

After this Fusion normally works for a week or so, but for some reason the problem eventually comes back but repeating the procedure has so far fixed things for me.

VMware needs to fix whatever is needed or at least document the problem.

0 Kudos
changhai
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,all,

This issue should be fixed in Fusion 6.0.1. VMware Fusion 6.0.1 and VMware Fusion 6.0.1 Professional Release Notes

Resolved an issue where Cubase could cause virtual machines to not power on

Please let us know your feedback.

Best Regards,

changhai

0 Kudos