VMware Communities
brianpina
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion 6 Screen Resizing Randomly Without Adjust User Interface Size in Windows 8.1

Hello,

Yesterday I began an evaluation of VMWare Fusion 6 so I could see if my Windows 8.1 experience was better. Using Windows 8.1 in VMWare Fusion 5 worked out pretty well, however from time to time there would awful graphics glitches and artifacts (it was not an experience ruiner, but it was pretty weird). I was excited about VMWare Fusion 6 and it's claim of being ready for Windows 8.1. I thought the weirdness would subside. However, it seems like I have a new issue on my hands, and it's actually degrading the experience now.

Firstly, this is installed on a 10.8.2 rMBP. The first issue I encountered after installing VMWare Fusion Tools was with the default settings selected in the Display section. Adjust User Interface Size, and Use Full Resolution for Retina Display were selected. With this combination I had a 1920x1200 desktop and the login/start screen were rendering at 3840x2400, which was too small for my 15in screen. This also created some weirdness and inconsistencies when switching back and forth between the start menu and the desktop. Sometimes it wouldn't correct the desktop resolution, so I disabled Adjust User Interface Size in the Display settings, but I left on Use Full Resolution for Retina because that seems cool.

Unfortunately, even though I have control over a consistent resolution, there are times when changing Spaces causes the VM to reset to 3840x2400. I should note that in the morning, I did hook this up to a 1920x1200 monitor, but as for right now I have been using it with just the laptop display. This has continued to happen intermittently throughout the day but the last time this happened the VM literally hard locked my machine, after a period of being trapped inside the VM Space. There are also times when switching spaces where the text is extremely fuzzy before it makes the resolution reset.

I hope I've provided some good detail here as I am looking forward to better Windows 8.1 support. Please let me know if there are any further details I can give. Are there any settings which I can look toward that may resolve this issue in the meanwhile?

-Brian

0 Kudos
2 Replies
brianpina
Contributor
Contributor

This issue is extremely problematic, and it continues to happen. When switching spaces from the OS X desktop to my Windows 8,1 Virtual Machine, the resolution sometimes switches to an insanely small size, ignoring my preferences. Please let me know if there is are any specific details which I could include to help diagnose this problem. As of right now I'm going back to VMWare Fusion 5, as version 6 is not ready for real use.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos