VMware Communities
Back2Mac
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion 6.0.2 won't load Windows 7 64 Bit "The system cannot find the file specified"

I have been running the latest version of OS X Mavericks and VMWARE Fusion 6.0.2.  The VM I am running is a Windows 7 64 Bit VM.  The physical machine is a mid-2010 27" iMac with 16GB RAM and 2.93GHz Quad Core i7.  I have been running this set up with little change for a couple months now.

I have been backing up to Time Machine, and recently had to have my hard drive replaced.  I hooked up my iMac with the new hard drive, and began the set-up process.  I used the Migration Assistant to restore everything from my Time Machine backup.  Everything re-installed great with a few small exceptions.

The biggest problem I have run into is with my VM.  It will not run.  I tried to open it, and keep getting the same error message in Fusion, "Unable to open file "/Users/XXXXX/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows 7 x64.vmwarevm/Virtual Disk.vmdk":  The system cannot find the file specified"

I have checked the package contents of the VM, and everything looks to be in perfect order.  I can not figure out what could possibly be going wrong.

I have tried making a copy of the VM, renaming it, and launching that copy.  I get the same error.  I tried completely manually uninstalling VMWare Fusion and all associated Library files.  I got the same error.

I do't want to have to re-create my VM from scratch.  Someone, please help.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

Note: Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button!

BTW... It is a known fact that Time Machine is not 100% reliable backing up/restoring Virtual Machines under all circumstances/conditions.  Also backing up Virtual Machines via Time Machine is disk/time intensive and wastes a tremendous amount of space for something that may be corrupt and worthless come time to restore it.  At a minimum I would exclude Virtual Machines from Time Machine and with the Virtual Machines shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed then manually copy the Virtual Machines Package(s) to an alternate location, preferably on to a different physical hard disk.  Then keep the User Data that is stored within the Virtual Machine backed up off of the Virtual Machine on a regular basis so as to always have a current User Data Backup.  If you have to restore a properly backed up Virtual Machine that is not as current at least you'll have a working Virtual Machine and current User Data to go forward with when you find out your Time Machine Backup of the Virtual Machine fails.

Also have a look at: Best Practices for virtual machine backup (programs and data) in VMware Fusion (1013628)

0 Kudos
Maxine
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the exact same problem so disappointed to see your question was not answered Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
freakpayne24
Contributor
Contributor

I have the logs. Although IDK what broke my vm. it was just working. Now it's as if windows doesn't exist on the vm. If anyone else has had this issue please let us know.

0 Kudos
DemuxDave
Contributor
Contributor

I'm at my witts end with this, I upgraded 5.03 to 5.04 and got errors reported and was unable to use VMWare so I downgraded to 5.03 and then had problems with connecting to the internet I kept getting the "Interface vmnet1 is not present" error. So i uninstalled vmware following the manual uninstall procedure provided by VMWare (not sure why there isn't an uninstall option)  and installed the trial version of VMWARE 6 and now have this problem of it not recognising my virtual machine. Which is useless to me, any suggestions please?

0 Kudos