VMware Communities
chowzen
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion 5 and Airplay Mirroring

Hey everyone,

Here is the objective :

1. Stream a Desktop via AppleTV onto a screen (full screen web browser - demo screen basically) - AirPlay mirroring.

2. Stream a VMWare machine's desktop onto a screen.

Option 2 is not working.

What I have done :

Installed Mountain Lion onto a virtual machine - post install and updates : there is still no airplay icon in the apple toolbar.

This does work however with AirParrot.

But I obviously do not want to run AirParrot - as I have Mountain Lion...

Please...any advice//

thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
kfreeman86
Contributor
Contributor

Outside the scope of VMware fusion support, but I'd recommend verifying that both your AppleTV and your Mac are on the same subnet. I'm assuming that you're connected over wireless so I'd recommend checking to verify that wireless isolation isn't enabled and the clients can communicate w one another

0 Kudos
chowzen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply;
As per the OP, using AirParrot, it works - but that is NOT a solution as I am running 10.8.

I am wondering if this is some sort of glitch or error or a feature that VMware is missing.  The mirror option does not display in the toolbar, nor in the system settings - ie.  OSX does not think that the machine supports it.  Which is incorrect as the machine that the VM is built on is a brand new 2013 MBP.

Mirroring from iTunes work - but not desktop mirroring...

So yes, I think this is a VMWare support issue - I have 10.8, but as a VM, it is not enabling all the options natively available.

Any ideas to why this is not working ?

0 Kudos
kfreeman86
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure how I missed the fact that you're running OSX inside the VM

Are you able to successfully run AirPlay mirroring from your actual host's operating system?

Do you have a USB>Ethernet adapter? I would try connecting it to your Mac while the VM is booted up and when prompted.. select to connect the USB>Ethernet adapter directly to your VM. Then physically connect your adapter to the same network that the AppleTV resides. Are you able to use mirroring from the VM now?

If you don't have a USB>Ethernet adapter, I'd probably trying messing around w the VMware settings of your guestVM. Is it set to "Share Mac network?".. Try "bridged" mode

I'm not sure what requirements there are for AirPlay mirroring to work, but I am suspecting that it's a networking issue

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at: About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X Mountain Lion

Then as previously mentioned either use Bridged network Adapter in Guest or use either a USB WiFi (or Ethernet) Adapter connected directly to the Virtual Machine and on the same Subnet as the Apple TV. 

0 Kudos
chowzen
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried everything and I missed the important part that I now would like some opinions and hopefully a fix for...

The OSX 10.8 Airplay's Desktop mirroring feature is limited to the CPU - the newer CPUs allow this feature to be enabled.  BUT, the VMWares that are created indicate 'unknown' CPU in the 'More info' window.

That is what the problem is - that is why the feature is disabled.  It believes that the CPU is not supported.

This is irrespective of the host, as my machine is a 2013 MBP - so.... THE MOST IMPORTANT PART : how do we fix this ? How do we have the VM believe that it is using a new gen cpu, just like the host ?

0 Kudos
pfergus
Contributor
Contributor

Seriously doubt this would work without AirParrot or the like.  AirPlay Mirroring on Mountain Lion needs Intel Quick Sync Video supported in hardware (note the "Calm down" is part of the article title, not a comment directed at you):

Calm down, 10.8's AirPlay restrictions are technical - not planned obsolescence

In order for AirPlay Mirroring to work VMware Fusion would need hardware support for IQSV for OS X guests.  Given I don't believe there's hardware accelerated video for OS X guests, IQSV (which probably is above and beyond hardware acceleration) likely won't work either.

0 Kudos
chowzen
Contributor
Contributor

Airparrot works 100% - but I was hoping to do this without having extra purchases.

It is a pity that VMWare is unable to support/emulate it.  But it does make total sense.  I guess we now wait for Mavericks..

0 Kudos