VMware Communities
rycklent
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion 2.x w. WinXP conflicts w. Mac Pathfinder 4.x

I've been a satisfied user of VMWare Fusion 1.x running WinXP for over a year, and similarly satisfied with Cocoatech's OSX Pathfinder version 4.x.x for the same period of time. Both seem to coexist happily. Rock solid, in fact.

I recently upgraded to Fusion 2.x -- Uh-Oh!

Now I get WinXP BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) every time I exit WinXP in Fusion when Pathfinder is running on Mac (OSX 10.4.x). MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4Ghz w 4GB ram; WinXP memory is limited to 1GB in Fusion. I have a Fusion-defined 20GB WinXP drive partition to enable read/write between both OS. Still plenty of room because I map all the data folders from OSX to the WinXP partition via Fusion.

This Fusion/WinXP/Pathfinder combo was rock-solid under Fusion 1.x

The BSoD errors include ntfs.sys which suggests Fusion may have changed something in how it handled folder mapping.

Note: I get no BSoD with regular OSX Finder running.

1) Has anyone seen this behavior with PathFinder/Fusion/WinXP combinations?

2) How did Fusion 2.x change folder mapping or otherwise change how it tell WinXP about folders on the Mac partition?

Any help or suggestions? Pathfinder is a key part of how I use the Mac (long-time DOS/Win DNA) so not running it is a drag.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NealTribeca
Contributor
Contributor

I've been running Fusion 1.x & winXP on macBookPro 2.6 GHz w/80 GB WinXP partition for a year now and everything has been stable. I just upgraded to Fusion 2.x and now I've had at least four BSoD crash & burns and Disk Full warnings. I'm considering swapping out the HD with a brand new 320 GB drive and reinstalling everything keeping Fusion at vers 1.x and making the WinXP partition closer to 30GB. Any comments are appreciated.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey there,

Not heard about any conflicting issues like this until now.

So I wonder if you can help me try and understand what is going on here.

Firstly, the WinXP VM blue screens on exit, by that do you mean shutdown the WinXP OS to restart it, or do you mean exit a Windows application like Explorer?

Secondly, is the BSOD always the same? Or can you get memory.dmp file that results from the BSOD? (Do you know if the XP VM is configured to create one

and what type of memory.dmp dump file?) When you have a dump file you can email me and I will give you the details to upload it to our ftp site.

Thirdly, what is BSOD check code? You stated it included ntfs.sys can you give a quick summary of the details of what you mean?

Fourthly, do you have mirrored folders enabled or shared folders on your Mac enabled or a combination of both? (VM settings "Sharing tab.)

In the case of PathFinder does it map any Windows shares to your XP VM? If so, are you accessing the Windows XP VM via these shares and what are you using

them for?

Thanks.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos