VMware Communities
dawnii
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion 2.01 Performance on Macbook with SSD harddrive

Hi,

I have some performance problems with VMWare Fusion 2.01 on a Macbook Pro. This Macbook has been recently upgraded with an OCZ SSD Drive. It's also equipped with 3 GB memory.

In a formation here at work, I had to work with a Windows system, so I installed a new virtual machine with Windows XP SP3. The installation took, already long, but then, installing inside the vm the applications needed, the virtual machine went to not responding for several seconds every few seconds.. the application installed by a standard windows installer and it installed like 1 GB of data on my virtual harddrive. The small harddrive icon on my virtual machine window stayed on when the vm was not responding. It seemed like the system tried to copy too fast and has to write things. And in this time the virtual machine went to not responding.

I thought there could be a problem with the new 2.01 version.. It was the first time I used it with Windows XP SP3. Here at work, I have an Ubuntu 8.10 running in a virtual machine and it has no problems at all. It is very fast and always responding correctly.

As I had no older version on my disk, I downloaded the free virtual box solution to try. And there, the same phenomenon.. Every time I had to copy many files on it, it copied like 100 MB and then stopped for several seconds and the went on.. Only thing : the virtual box changed not completely on not responding. One could still use it. It reacted very slow but it reacted. The VMWare Fusion machine didn't react at all and took the two processors completely on the Mac. It almost freezed the Mac.

I allocated then both virtual disks completely on my harddrive, so that they weren't expanding dynamically. That didn't do the trick.

I hope there will be some update soon. The SSD drive I use is a blistering fast OCZ (140 MB read, 90 MB write, 0.1 ms access time). The Windows virtual machine should run like my Ubuntu virtual machine : fast and reliable.

Greetings,

Laurent

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue. It's not a problem with VMware, it's an issue with the OCZ drives. The performance is absolutely HORRIBLE with rnadom access/multiple programs trying to access the disk at the same time. That's why if you look at the OCZ forums, their own employee's recommend turning off things like desktop search in windows vista. If it is scanning the drive at the same time you're doing any sort of user initiated I/O, the performance sucks.

0 Kudos