VMware Communities
theBastian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Fusion 10 - Graphics in Windows guest blurred

Hi,

I'm using Fusion 10 on a MBP2017. Installed Windows 7 as guest but the graphic in Windows is blurred. See the names of the folders ...

Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-04 um 10.58.39.png

Host: MBP 2017, Resolution is Retina

Guest: Windows 7, Resolution is 1920x1080 (window), 3D Graphics enabled, VMWare Tools installed

It's not a problem of Windows 7. I tried the same resolution with VMWare Workstation on a Windows host. The graphic was fine.

Tried Windows XP guest on MBP host, same graphic problems.

Any other the same problem or a solution for me?

Regards.

Sebastian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can try to enable the full resolution support, and set the text size in Win 7 VM yourself.

The following settings for your reference.

1. Enable "Use full resolution for Retina display", but disable "Automatically adjust user interface size in the virtual machine".

2. Open Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display in Win 7 VM. Click "Set custom text size(DPI)" item. Change the Scale value to 200%. Click OK button. Then click "Apply" button.

3. Log off then sign in again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You could try switching from the Apple Metal graphics to OpenGL. One new thing with Fusion 10.x is that Apple Metal graphics API is used by default when 3D acceleration is enabled for Fusion VM and if the Apple host hardware is capable of Metal. Shutdown the VM and add the following line

mks.enableMTLRenderer = "FALSE"

and it should fall back to the OpenGL used in Fusion 8.x.

You also make VMware Tools is updated.

For Windows Vista and later such as Windows 7, version 10.2 is the latest.

For those that are before Vista just as XP is, 10.0.12 is the latest.

0 Kudos
theBastian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tried it without Metal but it doesn't help.

VMWare Tools is the current version. This is not the problem.

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Bastian,

Did you check the option 'Use full resolution for Retina display' in Settings-->Display panel?

Usually, when Retina support is enabled in your guest, the resolution should not be 1920*1080.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
theBastian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No I disabled this option.

If enabled, fonts are too small.

0 Kudos
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can try to enable the full resolution support, and set the text size in Win 7 VM yourself.

The following settings for your reference.

1. Enable "Use full resolution for Retina display", but disable "Automatically adjust user interface size in the virtual machine".

2. Open Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display in Win 7 VM. Click "Set custom text size(DPI)" item. Change the Scale value to 200%. Click OK button. Then click "Apply" button.

3. Log off then sign in again.

0 Kudos
theBastian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That worked for me.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos