VMware Communities
nathanjd_nordst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Fusion 10.1.1 (7520154) Windows 10 Guest Resets Resolution upon Focus

I am having an issue that was not present before my recent software update from 10.0.1 to 10.1.1. My external display has a resolution of 2560 x 1440 but the Windows guest always resets it to 5120 x 2880 upon focus of the VM window. I can set it back to 2560 x 1440 through Window 10's "Display Settings", which will stay only until my focus changes again. This makes work very difficult as I need to change focus often between my guest and host machines.

Been working on this for a few hours now with no luck. I have not found any similar issues on this form or in my google searches. I do not know how to proceed. Are there logs that I could provide? System details can be found below.

Thank you.

VMWare Fusion Professional Version 10.1.1 (7520154)

Host: OS X 10.12.6 (16G1114)

Guest: Windows 10

Radeon Pro 560:

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 560

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 4096 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x67ef

Revision ID: 0x00c0

ROM Revision: 113-C980AJ-927

Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported

gMux Version: 4.0.29 [3.2.8]

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.927

Metal: Supported

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD

Resolution: 2880 x 1800 Retina

Pixel Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Connection Type: DisplayPort

Thunderbolt Display:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 2560 x 1440

Pixel Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Display Serial Number: C02PH41KF2GC

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Connection Type: DisplayPort

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Um... As I know, there are 2 ways, but I'm afraid that any of them will bring a little bit side effect. FYI.

Option 1:

Open Settings window of the VM(Cmd+E) ->  select "Display" -> Select "Unity Only" in the drop down list of "Scaled high resolution".

Side effect: you will get the resolution you want, but the UI elements will become big (200%) on the external display. If you want to have a 100% scale on the external display, the "Automatically adjust the user interface size in the virtual machine" checkbox should be unchecked, it will requests a re-login. After that, it works on the external display but shows a 1/4 UI element size on the Retina display.

Option 2:

Open Settings window of the VM(Cmd+E) ->  select "Display" -> Uncheck "Use full resolution for Retina display". A re-login is required.

Side effect: you will get the right resolution on both Retina display and external display, but the UI elements on Retina display won't be sharp. If you usually use the VM on the external display, I think it would be better for you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Um... As I know, there are 2 ways, but I'm afraid that any of them will bring a little bit side effect. FYI.

Option 1:

Open Settings window of the VM(Cmd+E) ->  select "Display" -> Select "Unity Only" in the drop down list of "Scaled high resolution".

Side effect: you will get the resolution you want, but the UI elements will become big (200%) on the external display. If you want to have a 100% scale on the external display, the "Automatically adjust the user interface size in the virtual machine" checkbox should be unchecked, it will requests a re-login. After that, it works on the external display but shows a 1/4 UI element size on the Retina display.

Option 2:

Open Settings window of the VM(Cmd+E) ->  select "Display" -> Uncheck "Use full resolution for Retina display". A re-login is required.

Side effect: you will get the right resolution on both Retina display and external display, but the UI elements on Retina display won't be sharp. If you usually use the VM on the external display, I think it would be better for you.

0 Kudos
nathanjd_nordst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, zhus. Option #2 is suitable for my needs. I primarily use the VM on my external display.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I usually solve this in a different way...

As the resolution change on focusing the VM is being handled by VMware Tools and as this is done by a little file called vmwareResolutionSet.exe .. I just rename that file.

Eg. in your VM in folder: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools

locate file: VMwareResolutionSet.exe

and rename it into: VMwareResolutionSet.exe.old

Best of both worlds. You determine the resolution and VMware Tools can no longer change it into what it thinks is "better".

Note that you will have to go through this again each time you upgrade vmware tools.

You can also go back to the supported setup by renaming the file back.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos