VMware Communities
mike817
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion 1.1 and iSight

I'm having trouble getting my iSight camera working in windows XP professional. I'm running vmware fusion 1.1 on 10.5.2 on the 2.4ghz 17" macbook pro. I installed the iSight drivers from the leopard cd, but the camera shows up as "USB video device" and doesn't work properly.

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm having trouble getting my iSight camera working in windows XP professional. I'm running vmware fusion 1.1 on 10.5.2 on the 2.4ghz 17" macbook pro. I installed the iSight drivers from the leopard cd, but the camera shows up as "USB video device" and doesn't work properly. Anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

I just installed the Apple iSight Driver in a Windows XP Pro SP2 Virtual Machine and the Apple Built-in iSight shows in the Hardware Device Manager under the "Imaging devices" node as "Apple Built-in iSight"

Then if I click Start > My Computer then under Scanners and Cameras double-click on Apple Built-in iSight it initializes the device and I can see myself in the Explorer window.

If you can not do the same then I'd say either the Drivers for the Apple Built-in iSight are not properly installed and or you have not connected the Apple Built-in iSight to the Virtual Machine via the USB icon in the Status Bar or the Virtual Machine > USB > Connect Apple Built-in iSight command.

0 Kudos
mike817
Contributor
Contributor

It's connected fine, it just shows up as usb video device and doesn't work properly. I have the latest macbook pro and i'm wondering if the drivers included on the dvd are for older models? I've reinstalled the drivers several times and nothing seems to work right.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In System Profiler (/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler) under Contents > Hardware > USB then under USB Device Tree > USB High-Seed Bus > Built-in iSight what are the values for Version, Manufacture, Product ID and Vendor ID?

0 Kudos
mike817
Contributor
Contributor

Version: 1.45

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Product ID: 0x8502

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Computer, Inc.)

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It's connected fine, it just shows up as usb video device and doesn't work properly. I have the latest macbook pro and i'm wondering if the drivers included on the dvd are for older models? I've reinstalled the drivers several times and nothing seems to work right.

Okay I was able to reproduce your condition as follows...

With the Apple Built-in iSight connected and in the Hardware Device Manager under the "Imaging devices" node show as "USB Video Device"

Then if I click Start > My Computer then under Scanners and Cameras double-click on USB Video Device it initializes the device and I can not see myself in the Explorer window as it just show a blank window where the image should be as was originally.

I was able to manually update the "USB Video Device" on the "Imaging devices" node in the Hardware Device Manager by manually extracting the files from the AppleiSightInstaller.exe file on the Boot Camp Drivers Leopard DVD using UNRAR.

Directions to extract the iSight Driver from the AppleiSightInstaller.exe file...

On the Leopard DVD, while in Windows, look for AppleiSightInstaller.exe and copy it to its own folder on the hard drive.

Although you cannot execute it by itself however you can use UNRAR to extract the files and then point to that folder when necessary.

At a Command Prompt: unrar x AppleiSightInstaller.exe

Note: The above command assumes the unrar.exe and the AppleiSightInstaller.exe are in the same folder and the Command Prompt is set to that folder.

This will extract the files necessary to manually update the device.

You can get a copy of UNRAR from...

GNU utilities for Win32

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/unxutils/UnxUtils.zip

Then in the Device Manager select the "USB Video Device" on the "Imaging devices" node and right-click and select Properties then on the Driver tab click the Update Driver... button and follow through with the ensuing dialog boxes to manually point to the extracted files folder and update the driver.

Note: If the driver does not want to update for whatever reason you will have to remove the oem.inf file from the Windows\inf folder that is the oem.inf file for the Apple Built-in iSight by searching for the text string iSight and then delete then oem*.inf file that contains the string isight. The back in the Device Manager right-click the "USB Video Device" on the "Imaging devices" node and select Uninstall then reboot the system and try to manually update the drive after it finds the Apple Built-in iSight.

Note: When I manually updated it the "Imaging devices" node in the hardware Device manager showed as "Apple Built-in iSight" although in My Computer it still showed as "USB Video Device" although this time when I doubled-clicked it it initialized and I could see myself. "USB Video Device" can be renamed to "Apple Built-in iSight" in My Computer after if you so choose.

Edit: Updated link for UnxUtils.zip as the old one was dead.

0 Kudos
mike817
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks WoodyZ. Working great now.

0 Kudos
Geoff_T
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ,

I realize this post is a couple of years old, and I'm wondering if your instructions are still accurate. 

I'm running XP SP3 and Fusion 2.0.7 on MacBook Pro running 10.5.8. 

My iSight is appearing in the device manager as USB Video Device under Imaging Devices.  When I try to click on Control Panel - Scanners and Cameras, as you did, I get an error that there are no properties for the device.  Inside My Computer, is see a USB Video Device.  When I click on that I can see myself (camera working).  However, when I launch the video conferencing app I'm trying to use, Polycom PVX, it does not work.

I followed your instructions below, but when I try to manually update the driver (after unrar, etc.) it says there is no driver to install.  I also tried burning the extracted files onto a CD, to no avail.

Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Geoff

0 Kudos