VMware Communities
Gasport
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Crashed and had to force quit

I was running a program, Delorme TOPO 9, in Windows 7 64 bit when VMWare became unresponsive because of a USB connected device (GPS) not updating properly. I could not close Windows 7 as I had the spinning cursor showing. I had to force quit VMWare. When I restarted VMWare, the active state at the time of the crash was still present. In other words it opened into Windows 7 at the exact point of the crash. It is as if Windows 7 is still running as there was no startup process as there usually is.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What you killed was the interface. Open Activity Monitor and make sure the view is set to all processes. You're gonna want to kill the process called vmware-vmx owned by root. You will need an administrator's password to kill it. This is the process that hosts all the running virtual machines. Close the interface before doing this.

rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

if possible before force quitting any vmware-vmx process, try holding down the option key while clicking on the Virtual Machine menu and clicking either "Force Restart" or "Force Shutdown". The holding down the option key causes Fusion to show the "Force..." power options.

Gasport
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, will save both suggestions if needed at a later date.

It actually happened again before I read your comments. This time I shut down the GPS and everything went back to normal and VMWare was functioning again.

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

if possible before force quitting any vmware-vmx process, try holding down the option key while clicking on the Virtual Machine menu and clicking either "Force Restart" or "Force Shutdown". The holding down the option key causes Fusion to show the "Force..." power options.

Ooh yes, always do this first. I had assumed that the entire UI had locked up due to mention of the spinning beachball but if you can access the Virtual Machine menu, try the force restart/shut down first.

0 Kudos