VMware Communities
robert024
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Converter

I am trying to creat a virtual machine from my local XP PC to run on a Mac with VMfusion. However, when I run the free converter program it gives two messages:

'connecting'

'receiving source information'

Then the program quits and the process stops, never asking where I want ot place the file, etc.

The log does not appear to indicate anything is wrong. The source PC is a Toshiba labtop with an OEM version of XP Professional with all upgrades. Does anybody know what is happening, have a better way to come up with a virtual machine or know where I can go to get help? Would I be better off to buy a new copy of XP professional and create a virtual machine directly on the Mac?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

First off welcome to the boards

The short answer is yes, you should. If you run converter on your laptop, once you power it on as a VM its going to see all the "hardware" changes and prompt you to re-activate it. Since your laptop was built with an OEM license it is tied to that hardware and can't be transfered. If you try and go through the process over the phone with Microsoft they'll end up telling you the key is now void and you could possibly lose activation on your laptop as well... It would be much easier, and less of a headache to just buy another copy of XP and install it fresh, not to mention it'll be cleaner and probably run a bit better.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
robert024
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Kyle! I will take your advice.

0 Kudos