VMware Communities
dagobert39duck
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare 3 and Windows 7 terribly slow?

I recently installed VMWare Fusion 3 on my Intel iMac and created a guest using the new Windows 7. The Mac is dual core and has RAM of 1 GB. I set the memory of the guest as recommended at 523 MB and reserved disc space of 40 GB. As it turns out, Windows 7 is that slow that operation is hardly possible. Moreover, restarting Windows or restoring the guest system take ages. Can somebody give me a hint at what I might be doing wrong or is my hardware setup not ideal?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LuvableMarmot
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. I deleted the boot camp files from Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/Virtual\ Machines/Boot\ Camp/ and then let it re-install but no dice. vmware 3 with boot camp of windows 7 is really bad.

0 Kudos
MrRoo
Contributor
Contributor

You need more ram in your mac. Windows 7 alone requires a minimum of 1GB of ram.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx

0 Kudos
LuvableMarmot
Contributor
Contributor

i know thats not the case with, 4GB of ram in my imac. What I do think it is, I'm starting windows 7 within vmware fusion and its boot camped. I think vmware still has some wierdness to sort out there.

0 Kudos
MrRoo
Contributor
Contributor

There is an issue with Fusion 3 that has yet to be resolved and it's not limited to Windows 7 virtual machines. My XP virtual machine is also now slow and unresponsive at times. It's bad enough that it'll drag down my entire mac and make it unresponsive just having the virtual machine open in the background doing nothing. I never had these issues with Fusion 2. Performance was impressive with Fusion 2. Now I dread opening virtual sessions with Fusion 3.

If there isn't a fix soon I'll probably go back to Fusion 2 since it was fast and stable. Windows 7 even worked good in it for me.

0 Kudos
pascalforget
Contributor
Contributor

I have to agree. Since I installed VMware 3, the boot time of Windows 7 in boot camp is much, much slower, and my Mac is less responsive. I allowed 2 Go of RAM, out of four on my Mac.

I hope that an update will fix this soon.

0 Kudos