VMware Communities
deSelby
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare 3.0 - Windows XP Doesn't Recognize Mouse Clicks

Just installed WMWare 3.0 - upgrade from 2.x. Guest OS is Windows XP.

Upgraded the VMWare Tools - after the usual exasperating workarounds.

Now Windows doesn't recognize any left mouse clicks. I can move the cursor with the mouse. Windows recognizes when I'm hovering over a UI element. I can right mouse click. But it doesn't recognize any left mouse single- or double-clicks.

Any thoughts?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
stereoscott
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same problem. Had a working Windows XP VM (also used with Boot Camp) and never had any problems with it. Upgraded to Fusion 3.0, updated VMWare Tools, and now my XP installation will not recognize left clicks.

I see another relevant thread here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/165563?tstart=0

0 Kudos
deSelby
Contributor
Contributor

Well I think I may have found the fix.

I shut down the VM. Opened the VMWare settings and changed the number of processors from 4 to 2. When I restarted the VM, the mouse worked properly.

Go figure Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
stereoscott
Contributor
Contributor

deSelby, thanks for updating the thread. I'm on a MacBook Pro with a

Core 2 Duo, and my VM was set to use 2 cores. I changed the settings

to 1 processor, started up the virtual machine... and magically the

mouse is working fine.

Was your success with VMWare tools installed, or did you remove them?

I left the tools installed before i shut down the VM, so they were

there when I started back up again.

Thanks again.... not sure I would have ever thought to look in the

processor settings for a fix!!!

0 Kudos
Kaptain09
Contributor
Contributor

I experienced the same issue with VMWare Fusion 3.0 and a Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch. I set my Mac to sleep every night, and left-clicking with the touch or pen would be working fine prior to sleeping the machine. It would cease to work after the Mac woke back up. The VM session (running Windows 7 RC), once it has focus, will lock out left clicks and will not allow focus to shift back to the host Mac. The only fix I have found so far is to put the Mac to sleep again and wake it back up. After this the tablet functions normally. I have only seen it happen without a sleep period one other time after I had minimized the VM and restored it. Again, the only solution was to go through a sleep/wake cycle.

I am currently too broke to afford even the discounted upgrade price for Fusion 3.0, so I am going to downgrade to 2.0.6 and am interested to see if the problem happens there as well.

Oops - so much for that - windows 7 not supported. I guess it's back to VMWare 3.0 and see if I can't stretch the license.

0 Kudos
stereoscott
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, I was able to install and run windows 7 under VMWare 2 and had no problems with it. I haven't used it enough under 3.0 to notice any sort of speed improvements between the two.

0 Kudos
Kaptain09
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I had Windows 7 running on the previous 2.x version before upgrading to the 3.0 beta and 3.0 itself. Apparently the problem was because I had converted to 3.0 and then tried to go back down to 2.x. There were instructions on the proper way to do that, but I only saw them once and then couldn't find them again. Smiley Happy All I remembered was:

1. uninstall VMWare Tools in the 3.0 VM.

2. xxxxxx

3. Profit!

I'm back on 3.0 for the 2 days I have left. We have a major project coming off for work this weekend,and I need to be online solidly for that, but I'll try to scrape up some cash to upgrade from somewhere.

I had the left-click problem immediately once I restarted my VM and tried to re-install VMWare Tools. Also, I forgot to mention previously that I had just upgraded to Snow Leopard, and the mouse issue had not happened under 3.0 and regular Leopard.

0 Kudos
tcutts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changing the number of CPUs worked for me too. However, I doubt that it's the number of CPUs that's important - I think the reason this works is that it forces Fusion to rewrite the .vmx file which describes the VM, and the new version of the file probably has the right mouse settings. You might well find that changing any other parameter of the VM (such as the amount of memory, or adding a hard disk) would also fix it.

0 Kudos
mamema
Contributor
Contributor

changing the number of CPUs DOESN'T fix it on my side here....WinXP SP3 Guest which runs smoothly on 2.06

0 Kudos
luckman212
Contributor
Contributor

same problem here.

win7 x64 host, vmware 7.1

fedora 13 guest + vmware tools installed

mouse (left click only) stops working

1. cpu's already = 1

any real fix for this??

0 Kudos
ksh187
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I do not know if my case will apply to you, but my problem was that vm-ware installed automatically a "serial printer" when I accessed / installed our corporate printer (network one, no usb!!!).

After removing the printer from the declared hardwares it was working well again.

I do not know why this USB printer came because my printers are all remote (through network, and never direct).

I still have my 2 CPU's and it is working well now.

Hope this can help somebody.

Cheers

Patrick

0 Kudos
Cyke
Contributor
Contributor

Well your printer solution certainly helped me!  I also had a serial printer installed, for no apparent reason, or none i could recall, so i removed that, rebooted and presto.

Reading some other related posts where it was suggested to lower the cpu nr. this wasnt an option for me as i had only one.

thanks!

0 Kudos
eyot08
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried all the suggestions here but to no avail!!!

Please VMWare fix this, I'm not able to use Fusion now...  mouse works fine but can't click Smiley Sad

0 Kudos