VMware Communities
Bdoubleu2
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE Fusion 10 on MAC, Windows 10 Start menu and search not working

I just installed the "Professional Version 10.0.1 (6754183)" release and my Start menu and search no longer work in windows. I can click other applications and I can right click most applications, but the main ones no longer work.

I tried creating a new profile and it does not work on the other profiles either.

This is sort of important to have as everything in windows (Albeit really a super poor design and attempt, that should be taken out back and shot) relies heavily on the menu and search. As they try and recreate every menu from 7 and hide the ones that actually work, with the new "apps" version, you cannot access certain things from the GUI without access to the start and search...

Any help is greatly appreciated, otherwise I will need to roll back to the old version of VMware Fusion Pro.

Windows 10 Pro, on a domain with Admin rights.

7 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

The below existing conversation may not be for the same product but the issue seems quite similar and on the Windows side of things, please see if it helps:

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/568415

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
Bdoubleu2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think I am using "writable Volumes" or templates of any sort. This is just your basic everyday implementation of a Windows on a Mac as a VM.

It worked fine until I upgraded from vwware fusion pro 8 to 10.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

This isn't a Fusion problem, it's a windows update corruption.  The only way I was able to fix it was to reinstall the recent update on top of the existing install.

Bdoubleu2
Contributor
Contributor

I believe you are correct.

I ended up using SFC /scannow

I did this with several restarts

then ran:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

also with several restarts and running the SFC /scannow

prior to the restorehealth each time.

This corrected the issues.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yeah, I tried those but my install was beyond repair and required a reinstall.

It's a known issue from MSFT, and they patched the cause, but not the effect.

0 Kudos
josefin1
Contributor
Contributor

Here is how to Solve Start Menu not working Problem in windows 10

1:- Simply reboot/restart your PC . If problem persists proceed with steps below

2:- First of all, open up the task manager by right clicking on the taskbar, and then selecting Task Manager. You can also open this by pressing ctrl+shift+esc shortcut keys.

3:- Beneath Processes tab, you’ll find Windows Explorer. Right click on that and select Restart.

4:- If you are unable to find Windows Explorer, just open up any folder. explorer process will start.

Source:- http://merabheja.com/how-to-solve-start-menu-not-opening-problem-in-windows-10/

0 Kudos
bmcloughlin2000
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue, but have taken all the steps described above, plus a few, with no resolution:

I ran SFC /scannow

I then ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I then upgraded to Fusion 10.1.2

I then reinstalled Windows 10

I then created a new Windows profile

None of these solved the problem.  Windows Search still will not run.

0 Kudos