VMware Communities
FREMPONG
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE FUSION 12 MAC OS BIG SUR 11

VMware Fusion does not support nested virtualization on this host. Module 'HV' power on failed. Failed to start the virtual machine. aNY HELP?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
lostfoundbox
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting this error as well.  Please help!

Update - I had to disable the "Enable hypervision .." option.  This finally resulted in being able to start up my vm. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please create threads in the area for the product used - moved to Fusion Discussions

You are also likely to find similar threads if not the same ones in this area

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
david_kittos
Contributor
Contributor

hi

please tell us where exactly is this setting "Enable hypervision .."? I can't find it, have looked in all the VM Fusion prererences and Virtual machine setting.

I have exactly the same error as you.

thx

//DK

0 Kudos
MurrayLBerkowit
Contributor
Contributor

I was under the impression that Fusion 12 was designed to work with Big Sur?  I just upgraded to the new Mac OS and VMware won't launch.  Upgraded to 11.6 and now it won't start at all. 

0 Kudos
david_kittos
Contributor
Contributor

if anyone else needs to do this:

<vm machine name> ..Settings..Processors And Memory..Advanced Options (bottom of the dialog)..clear the "Enable hypervisor applications in this virtual machine".

I am having very slow performance of Citrix Workspace (have updated to latest version) on the VM I use (Windows 10 with latest updates) - this was fine before upgrading to Big Sur / VM Fusion 12.

//DK

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi All,

Starting with macOS Big Sur VMware has to use the Hypervisor Framework as is provided by apple. The result of that is that currently some features do not work on a number of processors (even very current processors!) The missing features are Performance counters and nested virtualisation.

In order to start your VM you have to go to the menu "Virtual Machine" -> settings -> Processors & Memory -> open Advanced options and then make sure the following checkboxes are unchecked:

- Enable Hypervisor applications in this virtual machine

- Enable code profiling applications in this virtual machine

see also this thread

Hope this helps,
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
FREMPONG
Contributor
Contributor

Create new esxi host virtual machine don’t boot it yet. Go to settings of the new virtual esxi host. Click memory/processor. Then click on Advanced option. You will see enable hpervision.That is the first option.

I disable mine and it works for me. Only you have upgraded to Mac os Big Sur 11

0 Kudos
david_kittos
Contributor
Contributor

thank you

it works fine now.

I also had to disable the 3D Acceleration from the Display icon as it seems to impact the performance of the Citrix Workspace application in the Windows VM but this might be related to just how Citrix is setup in the company I work for.

//DK

0 Kudos
lostfoundbox
Contributor
Contributor

In the virtual machine library for your VM, open the settings and navigate to the "Processor and Memory" -> Advanced settings -> the first option -> uncheck this.  Your VM has to be shut down to de/select this option.  I hope that helps. 

lostfoundbox_0-1605478264343.png

0 Kudos
bscully
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While VMware figures this out, you might consider using Parallels — they include their own hypervisor and support nested virtualization under Big Sur (https://kb.parallels.com/en/125195).

0 Kudos
jbaum916
Contributor
Contributor

The problem with this work around is you can't run VMs such as GNS3 or EVE-NG because you can't create qemu based nodes since nested virtualization is required.

0 Kudos
FREMPONG
Contributor
Contributor

Parallels is not working either. They are  have network failed issue. I have try parallels, VMware and virtual box all seems having problem 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

JBaum916 said:
"The problem with this work around is you can't run VMs such as GNS3 or EVE-NG because you can't create qemu based nodes since nested virtualization is required."

FYI, in another similar thread the product manager of VMware Fusion (Mikero) said that they expect an update to VMware Fusion later this week that would restore nested virtualisation functionality for hosts with CPU's that do not have VMCS shadowing.
Due to limitations on how things work on Big Sur it will be less performant than it used to be, but nested virtualisation should at least work again.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
bscully
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
inistor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Looks like, in Fusion 12.1.0, on Big Sur (at least on a MBP 2018) this is working - you can enable "Enable hypervisor applications" and the machine will start.

Ion

0 Kudos
bscully
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have a look at the link in the post above yours.

0 Kudos
inistor
Contributor
Contributor

@bscully sorry, I don't get it.

0 Kudos
bscully
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While nested hypervisors can run, the reports from that thread, from my own experience, and one the prominent VMware employees in this forum (tho he wasn’t so blunt), is that the performance is so poor as to make the product unusable.  Can you can read through the posts for more detail, if interested.

don8
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot use VMware anymore... After asking to chat help, it seems like VMware still incompatible with Big Sur. Very disappointed. 

0 Kudos