VMware Communities
MacNuBee
Contributor
Contributor

VMFusion Zip Install

Hi Everyone,

As my name implies I am new to macs...so forgive me if this seems like a silly question. I have an ibook g3 and downloaded the VMfusion zip file to try the trial version of Fusion. After downloading the file and clicking the "fusiondemoVM.vmwarevm" What file do I click on to load the software?

Ther is a folder called "Ubuntu-7.10-32bit.vmx.ick" but when I click on it I am asked what program to open it with......I have no clue:-(

I will probably laugh at this in a few months, but for know, i would like to try the software before the trial period ends....can try it until i install it...LOL

Any help is appreciated....Thanks

MacNuBee

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DaveP
Commander
Commander

Well an iBook won't run Fusion. You need an Intel based Mac to do that. As forthe file you downloaded where was the url you got it from? It sounds like you downloaded an Ubuntu guest OS image.

0 Kudos
MacNuBee
Contributor
Contributor

DaveP,

I downloaded the file from www.vmware.com/go/fusiondemovm

(http://www.vmware.com/go/fusiondemovm )

What I was trying to do was run windows applications on the mac ibook

G3.....is there a way I can do that?

If the ibook does not have intel based chips.....what do they use?

I will be upset if this can't be done....I was told Mac could run windows

with the fusion software, that's why I purchased this Mac (used)...but my first

one.....so far I am not impressed......

Thanks again.....

MacNubee

**************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.

(http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp003000000025

48)

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What I was trying to do was run windows applications on the mac ibook G3.....is there a way I can do that? If the ibook does not have intel based chips.....what do they use?

I will be upset if this can't be done....I was told Mac could run windows with the fusion software, that's why I purchased this Mac (used)...but my first one.....so far I am not impressed......

I don't know who told you what however it would seem to me a reasonable and prudent, possibly even intelligent, thing to do before buying anything would be to verify that the hardware and software I was going to buy was indeed compatible and I would be seeking this information from the manufactures and not a 3rd party that may not have all the information necessary to provide an accurate answer.

The system requirements for Fusion are clearly stated at VMware's web site...

From

Minimum Requirements for VMware Fusion

• An Intel-based Mac (to run 64-bit operating systems, an Intel Mac with a Core 2 Duo or Xeon processor is required)

• 512MB of RAM (1 GB or more recommended)1

• 275MB free disk space for VMware Fusion

• 1GB free disk space for each virtual machine (10 GB or more recommended)

• Mac OS X version 10.4.9 or later

1 In addition to the RAM required to run the VMware Fusion software, you will need enough memory to run the operating system and applications on each virtual machine you create. To find out what these requirements are, read the documentation for the operating system and applications you want to install on your virtual machine.

That said it makes little difference what type of processor/chipset a G3 has as it does not meet the minimum requirements for VMware Fusion and therefore if you want to use Fusion you will need to purchase a Mac that meets the system requirements!

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

The download isn't the software but a Ubuntu Linux guest which demonstrates running other OS in Fusion. The trial download is here http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/. But as I said you don't have an Intel Mac but an older PowerPC processor based Mac. Microsoft did have VirtualPC for that type of machine, which completely emulates Intel chip based PC, but my experience of it was that it was slow and not really usable. When Apple moved to Intel Core processors it allowed virtualization software, VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop, to be produced which runs at a near native speeds.

Sorry it isn't good news, but you will have to write this one off to experience.

0 Kudos
MacNuBee
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you David for taking the time to answer my question.....I'm glad I

did'nt pay to much for the Mac, but I did want to run both operating

systems...oh well...you live and learn..thanks again.

MacNuBee

**************The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy

Awards. Go to AOL Music.

(http://music.aol.com/grammys?NCID=aolcmp00300000002565)

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

Well if you do decide to try again, pretty much all new equipment will be capable of doing this; e.g. Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro etc. Also anything that was manufactured in last 12 months should also be good to run Fusion.

0 Kudos