VMware Communities
vvt601
Contributor
Contributor

VMDK file corrupted - Mac crashed while compacting the VM's disk

Hello,

​I was compacting VM's disk in Vmware Fusion on Mac computer, which crashed. As I result, my .vmdk has been corrupted.

​I tried  sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vdiskmanager -R

​It finished saying The virtual disk, '/Users/Yuri 1/Documents/Virtual Machines/Trial Windows 8.1 x64.vmwarevm/Virtual Disk.vmdk', is corrupted and cannot be repaired.

​I have a one month old backup copy of this VM.

​Is there any way to recover the data from the most recent copy of this corrupted VM?

​Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

To be honest, I'm afraid that chances to revover are low. Anyway, if you want use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

André

PS: I've created a new discussion from your reply to an old discussion in the VMware Player community. This way it'll get better attention

Discussion moved from Workstation Player to VMware Fusion® (for Mac)

0 Kudos
vvt601
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion Problem Report Zip file is huge 140Mb, and Attach feature in Add Reply to this post rejects it.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In this case please extract extract the VM's folder ".../Documents/Virtual Machines/Trial Windows 8.1 x64.vmwarevm" from the report, compress the files, and attach the .zip archive to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
vvt601
Contributor
Contributor

I've uploaded the VMware Fusion Problem Report Zip file to Dropbox, and can share the URL for downloading via a private message...

0 Kudos
vvt601
Contributor
Contributor

The ZIP with .vmwarevm file is attached here.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid that there's nothing that I can do for you. The .vmdk file's metadata has not been updated properly (likely due to the crash) and shows thousands of grain table errors. These grain tables are basically the heart of the file, and with the corruption that's shown in the log files, it's nearly impossible to fix it.

Maybe continuum​ has an idea of how to search, and extract at least some data from the file as it looks now.

André

0 Kudos
vvt601
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, a.p.

Look forward to hearing from continuum​ when he has a chance to look into this.

0 Kudos