VMware Communities
Maymone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM won't recognise new disk size after resizing in Settings

I create a VM by dragging the macOS Catalina Install App onto the new VM window. The default disk size is 40 GB. Before running the VM I click to customise it, and resize the disk to 60 or 80 GB. When the installing begins, it only recognises 42 GB. When I let it install the system and resize the disk afterwards, it also won't recognise the new size. It keeps showing me 42 GB, however I resize the virtual disk.

• I'm running a MacBook Pro, with macOS Catalina on it.
  • I have tried both Fusion 11.5.6 and the most recent Tech Preview, to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Tiago

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You also need to change the size of the disk via Disk Utility in the guest OS.

See this post for more details:

Mismatch in hard drive sizes

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

13 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You also need to change the size of the disk via Disk Utility in the guest OS.

See this post for more details:

Mismatch in hard drive sizes

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
Maymone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot, that worked!

TM

0 Kudos
siggi90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a virtual machine with Windows 10 and i've resized the disk in the virtual machine settings from 60 gb to 150 gb but the hard drive doesn't resize in the Windows 10 virtual machine.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The hard drive doesn’t resize or the partition doesn’t resize?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
siggi90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The partition.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to manually resize the partition in your guest.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
siggi90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The "Extend Volume" option is grayed out, and i seem to be only able to create a new partition. My only options seem to be "shrink volume" and create "new simple volume". 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

screenshot?

0 Kudos
siggi90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is a screenshot.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Windows only supports resizing a partition with adjacent free disk space.
In your case there's a Recovery partition which either needs to be moved to the end of the disk (using a partitioning tool), or deleted in case you don't need it. If you think of deleting the partition, make sure that you create a snapshot prior to doing this, so that you can revert to the VM's current state in case it's necessary.

André

0 Kudos
siggi90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. That worked.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes like André said, removing de recovery partition is the way to go (and seems it already helped resolving your issue)

FWIW, my opinion on this is that a recovery partition is fairly useless on a VM, it is much easier for a virtual machine to make backups and safeguard your VM that way.
You can also boot from .iso disk in case you need to do repairs.
It's a useful feature on a physical host, less useful on a vm.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right.  Just got myself another gig back 🙂