VMware Communities
Tiger_MO
Contributor
Contributor

VM window always shifted off screen at startup

I believe this started with the last update to v2.0.1, but now when I start up my Windows Vista VM, the VM window is shifted off to the left of the monitor, half on, half off. I always drag the VM window back into place centered on the screen, but the next time I restart, it's moved again. Is this a bug? I always operate the VM in full-screen mode. I'm using OS 10.4.11.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Try quitting Fusion and moving /Users/$/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist - among other things, it stores window locations. Note that it also contains other things, most notably which virtual machines are in the Virtual Machine Library (you can drag and drop them to re-add them).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Before trying what Eric suggested, which I agree with, have you tried starting Fusion and just opening the Virtual Machine window without running the Virtual Machine and then position it where you want and then close the Virtual Machine window and then Fusion and then restart Fusion? Does the Virtual Machine window still appear half off the Desktop? If yes then do as Eric suggested.

0 Kudos
Tiger_MO
Contributor
Contributor

I've got ~/Library/Preferences/VMWare Fusion/preferences and ~Library/Preferences/vmware.fusion.plist. Delete both of them or which one?

0 Kudos
Tiger_MO
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't work. I did as you suggested and the window was shifted when I restarted.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Didn't work. I did as you suggested and the window was shifted when I restarted.

Oh well it was worth a try... Did you try what Eric suggested and if so did it work?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I've got ~/Library/Preferences/VMWare Fusion/preferences and ~Library/Preferences/vmware.fusion.plist. Delete both of them or which one?

Library/Preferences/vmware.fusion.plist. which is what Eric said... "/Users/$/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist" as he never said "/Library/Preferences/VMWare Fusion/preferences"!

0 Kudos
Tiger_MO
Contributor
Contributor

I actually had two different preference files in my user's library,

so I responded to to him asking which to delete (or both) and haven't

heard back yet.

+~+~+~+

Bill Moyes

Columbia, Missouri USA

wmoyes@mizzou.com

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already

tomorrow in Australia." -- Charles Schulz

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I actually had two different preference files in my user's library,

so I responded to to him asking which to delete (or both) and haven't

heard back yet.

I replied to that post and it's the .plist file not the preferences file.

0 Kudos