VMware Communities
MarkoK1
Contributor
Contributor

VM will not start since cannot be found after deleting primary 200 MB partition

I have accidently deleted the 200Mb partition and Windows does not start sice. The major Windows partition was untouched. Is there any way to restore my VM or at least somehow reinstall to keep my files? Especially my accountant program with libraries... I have collected support files from VM and have them stored in zip file but it exceeds max file size limit (it is 408MB) so I can't upload it (uncompressed tmp folder has 3,95G

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

This is in all likelihood not a VMware problem. If you deleted the system reserved partition at the beginning  of the disk that probably is why you rendered the VM unbootable.

If that's the case, don't bother with trying to submit the VMware support files - they will do you no good. Instead, consult on-line resources on how to recover that VM as if it were a physical machine. You may need a Windows release ISO.

When was your last backup of the VM?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
MarkoK1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for replying, afterall it was rather easy fix, I have simply booted into Win ISO install image and had the windows repair booting. I am back on track, all working as before and backed it all up:):):) Thanks again Virtuoso....:):):)

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Glad that worked for you and you're back running. I'm not an expert in Windows OS recovery so I'm sorry I couldn't give you more advice than "I think you can find the answer to that somewhere online"

Something tagged me as a Virtuoso and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I fall back on the definition of an expert: a person that's one page ahead of you in the manuals.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
MarkoK1
Contributor
Contributor

You're right, well I managed to get my win. back with the recovery only because since I booted my in UEFI mode, now it is Legacy, which does not bother me as I run windows for one soft only and I do not attache large external disks there. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos