VMware Communities
camner
Contributor
Contributor

VM unresponsive after migration from V3 to V4

I have an XP VM that's been running on a MacBook under Fusion 3.1.3.

I just bought a new MacBook Pro, bought and installed Fusion 4.1.1, and I'm having trouble getting the VM to start.

1.  I shut down the VM in version 3.1.3 on my MacBook.

2.  I copied the Virtual Machines folder (containing the VM) to the MacBook Pro

3.  I fired up Fusion 4, it asked me whether I wanted to upgrade the VM, I said "yes", and then I said "I copied it" when that question came up (I also have tried "I moved it," but the results are the same

4.  The VM boots and I put my password into the XP VM, and then it took about 5 minutes to come up with the XP desktop.

5.  The VM is virtually unresponsive.  Whenever I try to click somewhere, it can take from 1 to 10 minutes for the click to be recognized.  I've tried both the built in trackpad and a USB mouse.

I'm flummoxed here.  I've successfully upgraded a different VM from version 3 to version 4 (on a different computer), without any problem.

I've allocated 2GB to the VM, and I have 12GB on the MacBook Pro, so memory should not be an issue.

The MacBook Pro is running Lion 10.7.3.  The VM was originally created years ago under Fusion 1.x, then upgraded progressively to 2.x and 3.x and now 4.x.  I've had no problem with earlier upgrades.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
camner
Contributor
Contributor

Update: 

I think it may be a corrupt VM.  I tried two things:

1.  Taking a 4.x VM from another machine to the new Macbook Pro, and that VM worked just fine

2.  Moving the 3.1.3 VM from the old laptop to my desktop Mac and trying to upgrade the VM to 4.x from there.  No dice. Same symptom.

Odd.

0 Kudos
cshobar
Contributor
Contributor

I am having exactly the same problem.

Windows XP, boot camp partition, running on an intel iMac (dual core, 4GB), OS X 10.7.3

Upgraded from VM 3.x to 4.x

Same problems, current VM version: 4.1.1

If I wait long enough, maybe a half hour or longer. XP eventually becomes somewhat "useable".

I mainly use VM to launch XP to launch explorer to finally launch a remote desktop connection to my window maching at work.

If I can finally get there, I am then usually OK.

But what used to be less than 5 minutes is not a 30-45 minute task.

0 Kudos