VMware Communities
ArthurVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM recovery

Hi,

After suspending my vm I can't run it again. See pictures.

There is no snapshots taken.

Is it possible to fix this problem or at least recover Windows files from C disk (documents, files etc.)?

Please see attachments.

I cant copy wm locally on macbook, because I have small ssd, there no so much free space left for vm to copy.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It looks like some of the .vmdk (Virtual-Disk-s011.vmdk ... Virtual-Disk-0014.vmdk) files got lost!?
As a first step, check whether these files are quarantined by your A/V app, in the lost&found folder, or elsewhere.

If you cannot find/recover the missing files, you could try to replace them with a copy of Virtual-Disk-s015.vmdk.

I strongly recommend that you backup the current files prior to powering on the VM again.

André

View solution in original post

5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It looks like some of the .vmdk (Virtual-Disk-s011.vmdk ... Virtual-Disk-0014.vmdk) files got lost!?
As a first step, check whether these files are quarantined by your A/V app, in the lost&found folder, or elsewhere.

If you cannot find/recover the missing files, you could try to replace them with a copy of Virtual-Disk-s015.vmdk.

I strongly recommend that you backup the current files prior to powering on the VM again.

André

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

To extend on what André noted, since you mentioned you have a small hard drive, do you have anything configured to automatically move files to another disk or the cloud?

ArthurVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thx for feedback guys.
I decided to instal another vm...

Dont know where some of vmdk files got lost...
Been working on this mac for ages..

Last that I remember, I used ccleaner to clean some space.. especially with option for "large files", lol..

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

ccleaner is a blunt instrument.  I prefer DaisyDisk that lets me see what the files are and pick and choose.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Anything that touches files within a VM bundle outside of Fusion is a disaster waiting to happen. Tools that don't give you a choice are particularly dangerous. Or saying "yes, please" to delete a VM's file when you really don't realize that you shouldn't.

Follow the lead of @ColoradoMarmot and if something says it's going to delete a file in a VM's bundle for you, politely reply "no, thank you".

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides