VMware Communities
TechTorque
Contributor
Contributor

VM on Fusion on MBP with lid closed - RDP access

Hi All,

I am running Fusion 10 on Macbook Pro (2015) on 10.14.5.

I run this macbook in clamshell mode (lid closed).

Amphetamine is installed and enabled (stops sleep).

I have a win10 Fusion VM running - NIC bridged to the MBP NIC.

When the lid on the Mac is closed, I can only RDP to the VM if I connect to the Mac via screensharing first.

I do not have to log in to the Mac via screensharing, rather just the act of waking the 'virtual' screen seems to bring the connection alive on the VM.

When I am unable to RDP to the VM (before screen sharing to the Mac), I am also unable to Ping the VM (suggesting it is off the network). I am able to ping the Mac, when the Mac is on WiFi.

Interestingly, I put the Mac onto USB ethernet (and turned off WiFi, changed VM config) and in this case the Mac even drops off the network.

I have set all power settings on the Mac and the VM to 'do not sleep' - as well as amphetamine running.

I've disabled appnap globally.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Thanks in advance..

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kdunchained
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue.  I installed Amphetamine enhancer and restarted.  No improvement.  The mac host responds to remote screen sharing but the guest (with power management inside and outside disabled) somehow stops responding unless some host related networking is active.  Super wierd.

host OS: big sur

hardware: macbook pro 2018

guest:  centos 5

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is not the same issue as this 2 year old post.

You're using an M1 device, and Fusion does not run VMs on M1 devices yet.

-
Michael Roy - PM/PMM: Fusion & Workstation
0 Kudos
kdunchained
Contributor
Contributor

The host is a macbook pro 2018, not macbook air M1.  Sorry about the confusion. 

0 Kudos