VMware Communities
Jim_Allen
Contributor
Contributor

VM not starting after crash, Check for missing files failed: Insufficient permissions...

Hi I have installed XP Pro in a VM and it was working fine for a month or so, but it was prone to crashing. Now, the VM is indicated as suspended and I do not have an option to restart it.

I had to change user accounts temporarily, and found that I couldn't access the VM. So, following the instructions here on a number of the threads relating to insufficient permissions, I changed all permissions for the VM. I now have read & write access for all files for my username.

I have a Mac Pro and have installed the VM on the second hard disk in a folder /Volumes/Windows/VM Ware XP/

I have tried verifying the disk (all fine) but the option to repair permissions for the drive is greyed out.

I have upgraded to 2.1, but this hasn't improved anything. I have zipped my vmx and log files and attached them.

I would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas about how to fix this.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What's the exact error (or is the title all of it)? At first glance, I don't see anything strange in the logs.

Now, the VM is indicated as suspended and I do not have an option to restart it.

I don't understand - screenshot? Why can't you restart it?

0 Kudos
Jim_Allen
Contributor
Contributor

The exact error message is:-

Check for missing files failed: Insufficient permissions to access the file

The VM is suspended, and this error message is the reason it won't resume.

I have checked the permissions on all the files, and they seem to be okay.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

By "all the files", does this include inside the .vmwarevm bundle?

Can you collect vmware.log and vmware-vmfusion.log as described in ?

0 Kudos
Jim_Allen
Contributor
Contributor

Damn, I posted a response to this a couple of days ago! I don't understand where my response and uploaded log file went. Has the forum server crashed and lost data?

Yes, I set permissions for all the files inside the bundle.

I have attached the log files again.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't see the vmware-vmfusion.log files, only vmware.log. Unless your system clock is wrong, those files look out of date - the most recent is Nov 26.

0 Kudos
Jim_Allen
Contributor
Contributor

After a long period of avoiding VMWare because I didn't have time to look into the problem, I have gone back to it. I logged in as root and explicitly added my normal logon as a user and set access permissions for all files and folders to 'Read and Write'. Previously these were set to allow read and write permissions for 'Everyone'.

I have rolled back my system and everything now works. Thanks for your help anyway!

0 Kudos
Zordrak
Contributor
Contributor

Check that your files aren't marked as Read-Only. The lack of a useful error and solution was infuriating me until I finally tried to mount the disk with the Workstation 5.5 Disk Mount Utility and it said "Can't mount a read-only" disk - I untagged read-only for the whole dir and subdirs and suddenly it was fine.

0 Kudos