VMware Communities
wmullen48
Contributor
Contributor

VM not reponding

Somehow I managed to get a VM to hang. I forced quit Fusion. Now when I try to run that VM nothing happens. hen I run another VM I get a message about "other Virtual Machines running" followed by a message stating that my CD could not be assigned to this VM since it was already in use. I was trying to get Win 98 installed but I had not gotten far so I'd like to blow this VM away and restart.

How do I get Fusion to shut down this orphaned process?

Thanks

Will

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When Fusion runs a virtual machine, there are actually two processes involved: the Fusion GUI and vmware-vmx. The GUI takes care of things like accepting input and drawing to the screen, while the vmware-vmx process does the heavy work of actually running the guest. If you force quit Fusion, this only kills the GUI process; the vmware-vmx process continues running. If you really want to force quit all of Fusion, you need to kill vmware-vmx as well.

If it's just the guest that's not responding, you can tell Fusion to shut down or restart it by holding option and selecting Virtual Machine > Power Off or Virtual Machine > Reset. This is similar to pulling the power cord on a physical computer.

0 Kudos
wmullen48
Contributor
Contributor

After forcing Fusion to quit, I can now open and close it normally. The problem is that I have twoVMs that are running in the background. One of them actually disapeared from the VM list. The other does nothing when I double click on it. Nor are there any items in the VM menu that are not grayed out. I've tried rebootin the Mac to see if that would kill the VMs to no avail. Where are the VMXs running and how best to kill them? I've even thought of un-installing and re-installing Fusion but I do not want to lose the VMs that are still working properly. Any other ideas?

Will

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

... I've tried rebootin the Mac to see if that would kill the VMs to no avail. ...

If you've rebooted the Host then there is no way the two orphaned Virtual Machine (vmware-vmx processes) that were running when you rebooted the Host are still running after you rebooted! No running process survives a reboot! Any and all processes started after a reboot are a new instance and as long as you didn't run those Virtual Machines again after the reboot then the previous vmware-vmx processes were killed by the reboot.

0 Kudos
wmullen48
Contributor
Contributor

After forcing Fusion to quit, I can now open and close it normally.

The problem is that I have twoVMs that are running in the background.

One of them actually disapeared from the VM list. The other does

nothing when I double click on it. Nor are there any items in the VM

menu that are not grayed out. I've tried rebootin the Mac to see if

that would kill the VMs to no avail. Where are the VMXs running and

how best to kill them? I've even thought of un-installing and re-

installing Fusion but I do not want to lose the VMs that are still

working properly. Any other ideas?

Will

0 Kudos