VMware Communities
dschiffmann
Contributor
Contributor

VM does not start

Hey!

Im running VMware Fusion Pro 11.5.6 on a Macbook Pro 2016. The virtual machine is Windows 10. Today my Macbook suspended and since then, my VM does not start anymore with the following error:

pastedImage_0.png

The VM is encrypted. I restored a Timemachine-Backup from last week, but the same error appears.

Does anyone have an idea? Which further infos are needed. (And sorry for my english :-))

Thenks

Dave

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Please try to start your VM and then attach a vmware.log file from your VM to a reply here via the attach button in the bottom right of the edit window.

As far as "restored a time machine backup from last week" concerns... read my article here:

https://www.vimalin.com/why-is-time-machine-not-a-good-backup-for-virtual-machines/

Hopefully the restore didn't make things worse.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
dschiffmann
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Wil,

thanks for your answer.

Ok, now I know, why Timemachine is not the best idea to use with VMware.

But my VM works again: I removed the whole Virtual Machines.localized Folder from the terminal and then I restored a backup that was one hour older (because I had no other chance, the files fron today are deleted). After the second :smileyalert: reboot of the Macbook, my VM started again.

Nevertheless many than ks for your help and tipps!

Dave

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Dave,

Good to hear it worked out in the end!

Strange that you had to reboot your MBP 2 times for getting it back to work.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos