VMware Communities
Luminatio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM became extremely slow after upgraded to macOS 10.14.6 [Officially Solved]

------------20190827--------------------------

This issue is officially solved with Apple’s macOS 10.14.6 supplemental update.

Thanks to all of you.

A thumb down to Apple’s software team...

————————

After I upgraded my 2 MBP to 10.14.6, all of the Windows VMs became extremely slow and stuck at the login screen...

The VMs are set to use TPM, I don't know if it's relevant.

Anyone came across the same situation?

Now I cannot continue my work...really frustrating...

—————20190727————-

I’m updating this for convenient reference.

Many users encountered this issue which leads to completely unusable of VMs.

And we got some replies from Fusion developers, you could help developers identify issues by replying your hardware models/is disk encrypted or have the VM encrypted etc.

We have some reports that some users found out that if set the memory of VM to 2G could help.

Re: VM became extremely slow after upgraded to macOS 10.14.6

If you don’t need to use much memory and can work with it, you might try set the memory to 2G, or maybe less than 4G is also okay?

Still we are waiting for an official solution.

------------20190809--------------------------

Thanks to ksc

Re: VM became extremely slow after upgraded to macOS 10.14.6

I updated to Fusion 11.1.1, confirmed that I can login to the system, and desktop shows normally.

As ksc says, it is a workaround which I'm not quite sure if I can trust it to do my work in it....

At least, I'm able to get my works out and change to other options now.

I'll mark this issue as resolved for now, but keep the [Workaround Released] tag in the subject.

Looks like it would take quite some time for a real fix, I'll keep an eye on this.

消息编辑者为:Liam

227 Replies
itlifesaver
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

iMac i7 with 4 physical cores. I have 2 cores assigned to the VM.

Yes, it has a 3TB Fusion drive. Is there something special I should be doing for this consideration?

I think my lingering issue may have been this too, since I RDP to the VM, and I think disabling 3D Graphics troubleshooting this issue may have provoked this bug:

DWM.EXE High CPU (One Core) On Target System after Remote - Microsoft Community

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

2 cores should be fine.  Good catch on the RDP/DWM bug...that'd be really tough to catch!

Regarding the fusion drives, another user and I just went through a long performance troubleshooting, though in his case it was mostly about resume speed.  The root cause was the fusion drive, which kept moving pieces of the virtual disk to the metal drive.

Here's the thread: slow VM restore of saved state

In that case, converting to a single virtual disk file prevented MacOS from aging out parts of the virtual disk to the metal drive, and solved the issue.  But even in that case, if the file isn't used for a long time, it'll end up moving over.

Doesn't sound like the same issue you're having though.

0 Kudos
cptmoose
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 196.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.30f2

macOS 10.15.3 Catalina

VMware Fusion 11.1.1

This is the only thread I found about extreme slowness. Same problem as others mentioned, appeared out of nowhere few days ago.  I remember my VM Windows 10 x64 did an auto update then things went dead slow.  Login takes an hour and can't even load up Task Manager.  I attached my vm log if that helps.

Help Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi cptmoose,

Some suggestions:

Upgrade to VMware Fusion 11.5.1 (not sure why you are still on 11.1, it's a free upgrade, https://www.vmware.com/go/getfusion )

Make sure you also update vmware tools after the upgrade.

Disconnect the cdrom from the VM.

As a troubleshooting step, you might also want to try disabling the shared folders you have now.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
cptmoose
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Wila;

I just updated to 11.5.1, installed VMTools, disabled Shared Folders, and CD/DVD was already disconnected, but unfortunately, nothing changed.  I noticed the VM is responsive in terms of sending Ctrl+Alt+Del which responds fast and shutting down as well, but no response on the Windows 10 OS side. I waited for 4hrs for Task Manager to show and the only thing showing is a blank applications list and the background with basic taskbar icons, none of my shortcuts are showing and the Start menu is not responding either (see screenshot).

My next move is to try to restore from a back from a couple of months back.  I'll report back if that fixes things.

Thanks again,

Mustafa

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK,

Are you running an antivirus product at your host?

If so then try excluding the VM from its file system checks.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
cptmoose
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No antivirus running on host. I tried a ton of things:

1- Installed a brand new Windows 10 VM and it ran just fine

2- Tried to restore a past backup from early 2019, and that worked fine as well.

3- I tried booting the problem VM in Safe Mode + Networking but the same problem, it takes forever to open even Task Manager.  I wasn't able to open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) to check things there, it took forever so I quite on it.

4- Tried to run chkdsk from Microsoft Troubleshooting Command tool , but no issues there, although it returned extremely fast!

5- I tried all other options such as Diagnose and others except for Startup Disks and System Recovery Point, because I didn't have them, but nothing worked.

5- I tried reinstalling VMware Tools multiple times but nothing changed either.

I have no clue what to do next!

Mustafa

0 Kudos
dhjdhjdhj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do not consider this solved.  I read through much of the forums but did not find anything that addressed what happened to me.

In particular, 10.14.6 was working absolutely perfectly for me until I installed VMWare Tools -- after that, my VM gets stuck at the Apple Prompt.

0 Kudos