VMware Communities
rbroberts
Contributor
Contributor

VM application: "Could not locate CD" but CD is mounted...

I just installed a kid's game on my Windows XP Pro VM. We used to run this under classic on Mac OS X 10.4, but our new MacBook laptop has 10.5 so I'm trying a copy of VMWare Fusion 1.1 (62573) to see if I can get the Windows version of the game to work (it does work on a Windows XP Pro laptop). The game installed from the CD just fine. But when I try to launch the game, it says: "Could not locate CD. Please make sure CD is properly mounted in local drive." But the CD is certainly mounted in the VM and it is visible from Windows Explorer.

Any ideas on why the application would think the CD is not there when Windows thinks it is?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Do you know if the game employs any kind of copy protection? The game may be trying to access the drive in a way that is not emulated in a virtual machine. Does the game have a way to run it from a hard disk? You might try running the game from the 'run from hard disk' mode as an alternative.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What game is this?

0 Kudos
rbroberts
Contributor
Contributor

The game is "Math 1-2" by SchoolZone.

0 Kudos
rbroberts
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm, that's a possibility, but I don't know. I can't find anything about it on their web site or the "documentation" that comes with the game, but that doesn't mean much. It works under Windows XP natively, and it worked in OS X 10.4 using Classic. I don't see any mechanism for running purely from disk which is itself suggestive.

0 Kudos