VMware Communities
jhuertaNU1996
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Windows 10 Won't Connect \\network\share

I am running VMware Fusion Pro 11.5.3 and have recently been unable to connect to any network share.  When I try to run \\network\share, it keeps failing stating that the it cannot access that share and to make sure the name was typed correctly.

I am running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4 and Windows 10 Enterprise 1909.  Not sure if this happened when I ran the upgrade to 1909, or if was after the upgrade to VM 11.5.3.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
9 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi jhuertaNU1996 ,

Which network is the VM using, NAT or bridged? Is the VM accessing the network share via SMB?

0 Kudos
jhuertaNU1996
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

nancyz, I get the same result whether it is NAT or bridged.  Also the share is SMB.

thanks!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So you’re trying to connect from a Windows guest to a SMB network share.

Where is the SMB server? Can you ping it from the Mac OS host, and from the Windows guest?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jhuertaNU1996
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

scott28tt, ping responds from the host and the VM.  It just automatically responds with "Windows cannot access \\server"

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sounds like it could be a DNS issue - have you tried using the IP address instead of the servername?

0 Kudos
jhuertaNU1996
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RDPetruska, yep I have tried hostname and IP address and both automatically fail.  I have even enabled all File and Printer Sharing for both inbound and outbound rules in my Firewall.  I have even turned off my Firewall via Symantec.

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi jhuertaNU1996 ,

Did you enable SMB settings for Windows 10 VM?

How to detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows | Microsoft Docs

0 Kudos
jhuertaNU1996
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks nancyz, I will definitely check this out.

0 Kudos
jhuertaNU1996
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was it nancyz.  SMB1 was disabled.  After enabling and rebooting, all connectivity was re-gained.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos