VMware Communities
MaxwellMeeks
Contributor
Contributor

VM Windows 10 4k external monitor laggy, high cpu usage

Hello, I have a 16" Macbook Pro on Catalina 10.15.7 and when I connect my LG 4k display, my VM with windows 10 is laggy. Is there anything I can do to make it snappier or faster? I did notice that when I launch the VM when connected to my external monitor, I get "No 3d support is available from the host".

Also, within task manager, at idle my CPU usage is fine but whenever an application is started like chrome or theres multiple things going on, my cpu usage for that specific app reaches 100% with very high energy usage.

Here are my preferences

VMWARE Fusion Version 11.5.6

2 processor cores

13GB of ram (32GB on my macbook)

Screenshot attached are my video settings 

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I have a 16, and run 2 4k monitors without issue.  So couple of questions:

1) do you have the model with the discrete GPU?

2) Have you installed anything like gfxstatus, or other tools (including terminal commands) that override the automatic graphics switching in OSX?

3) Running windowed or full screen?

4) Are you starting the VM before or after plugging in the monitor?

The net is:  with a discrete gpu, make sure that there's no override software installed, and automatic switching is enabled, run windowed, and start the VM after the monitor is plugged in

FWIW I did see lag, both for VM's and OSX apps with two monitors running at 4k/30hz over hdmi, but it was usable.  I invested in an eGPU and now run both at 4k/60hz over displayport and it's blazingly fast (I can even play dragon age inquisition in a vm now).

0 Kudos