VMware Communities
Pat1763
Contributor
Contributor

VM Ware Fusion 7 under OS X 10.10 to be transferred to another Administrator Account

Hi there, :smileycool:

First of all sorry for my broken English, as this is not my mother tongue.

Since I had a lot of issues with my Administrator Account I decided to create a new one, from which I would work on my Mini. This has worked fine so far, and the apps under which I had errors are nos working fine.

Indeed, this move has created other issues. Using VM Ware Fusion 7 is one of them. When I tested it under the new Administrator Account, it has started to work from scrap, and wanted to create new virtual machines. I have tried to set my Windows XP Family license under it, but failed completely.

The question is then to know if, instead of creating it from scrap, I could use the setup already installed on my previous Administrator Account? If yes, how to proceed? If no, how to deal with this issue?

The bottom line is quite obvious - there is no way to replace a Windows XP licence any longer! :smileyblush:

Thanks in advance for any suggestion and help you could provide me with!

Cheers,

Pat

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mini2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Pat,

You mean you want to create a new vm but with the previous XP vm, right?

If yes, suggest to create a new vm with these steps: File->New->Create a custom virtual machine->Microsoft Windows, Windows XP *version*->Choose 'Use an existing virtual disk'->Choose virtual disk...(Path is your previous vm-disk).

If no, could you please provide more detailed info you want? Thanks~

Hope helpful~

0 Kudos
Pat1763
Contributor
Contributor

Hi mini2008 :smileycool:

Thanks for your answer!

I eventually did it this way -

- move the virtual machine folder under the new user folder / documents / virtual machine

- select the virtual machine by file / import

(I've seen somewhere in VM Ware the process I'm quoting out of my memory, unfortunately I cannot find the link any longer).

It works well yet with an issue -

• either I keep VM Ware Tools. I can then access to the shared files previously set, which I can either "see" on OS X (my native OS) and under Windows XP (the virtual machine). Drawbacks - session really long to launch, quitting is an issue (I have to request it several times) and the the desktop is not available.
  • or I shoot down VM Ware Tools. I can then access the desktop, the sessions starts and shuts down at normal speed, but Windows "sees" quite a few peripherals it cannot install, and I cannot access the shared files.

I've tried several times the repair / re-install / remove (and re-install) options, without any luck... Smiley Sad

Is there any way to restore it as it used to be before, i.e. start and shut down fast, AND access to the desktop and the shared files, AND indeed... no error message? Smiley Wink

Thanks in advance for any support ! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos