VMware Communities
motobell
Contributor
Contributor

VM Tools Install - Error 1325. Documents is not a valid short name.

In my quick search I understand that this is something related to TEMP & TMP variables..

and I had this error in a previous install attempt of "Interwise" Outlook Add-in that my IT was pushing through to my image that failed with the same error and now VMWare Tools install keeps failing

I have reset TEMP & TMP to c:\windows\temp folder and restarted twice.. any recommendations?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Can you help us with the exact version of Windows you're seeing this with? An easy way to see this is Start > Run > winver

0 Kudos
DannyD
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
motobell
Contributor
Contributor

I am runnning windows XP Professional with SP2. the exact string from running winver is

Version 5.1(Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service Pack 2)

0 Kudos
motobell
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't help.. I downloaded the installer cleanup utility and it gacve the same error try to run it.

0 Kudos
motobell
Contributor
Contributor

The issues was resolved not by what I would like.. but I un-assigned "MyDocuments" in windows from pointing to a shared folder from my mac to fusion.

and reran install and worked fine. but this is not ideal as I would like to not remove the MyDoc assignment - I want to treat XP Vm as just a OS with apps I need to run only there. all docs I want to store on mac volume.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>The issues was resolved not by what I would like.. but I un-assigned "MyDocuments" in windows from pointing to a shared folder from my mac to fusion.

That's interesting re-assignment of "My Documents"! Unfortunately Windows likes to treat certain locations, well...specially. That's why you see references to TEMP/TMP having to be defined in a well-known location.

0 Kudos
motobell
Contributor
Contributor

>Unfortunately Windows likes to treat certain locations, well...specially. That's why you see references to TEMP/TMP having to be defined in a well-known location.

But temp has always pointed to a well known location. c:\windows\temp

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>But temp has always pointed to a well known location. c:\windows\temp

My point is Windows (and certain apps) expect Program Files, My Documents, Temp and the Windows directory in default locations. All of these are programmable, but certain apps will just break. The My Documents thing is probably a quirk with the Shared Folders filesystem rather than an installer bug, but the idea is the same.

0 Kudos