VMware Communities
ajfisher
Contributor
Contributor

VM Takes Hours to boot.

Hi--

I'm using VMWare Fusion 4.1.3 on a Mac Pro with 2x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon's and 48GB RAM running MacOSX 10.7.4. I have a Mac OSX 10.7.4 VM that takes 1.5 to 2.5 hours to boot up. We've not had any luck getting this machine to boot faster. It has 8GB of RAM and 4 processors assigned to it (it's a Continuous Integration server and spends its days running builds).

We've tried various things (turning off the network card, setting to a low resolution), but there seems to be nothing in the logs that points to anything being amiss. Has anyone run into this issue before? Any troubleshooting ideas? I really can't have this server down this long when a reboot is required.

Thanks!

Allen Fisher

0 Kudos
9 Replies
koi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As a datapoint, once the virtual machine is running, are things OK? i.e. is it just booting that has problems, or is it constant?

ajfisher
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. It's pretty sluggish once booted, after another 30 mins it's usually ok. It will also go through periods when it's a bit slow, but mostly when in terminal. It sometimes takes 15 seconds to get a prompt.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is too long, would you be willing to send in a bundle of logs while that VM is running?  You can generate them by going to the Fusion menu > Help > Collect Support Information.

It will put the archive on your Desktop.

ajfisher
Contributor
Contributor

Should I post that TGZ here or send it in (ie does it have identifying info in it)?

0 Kudos
koi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is some possibly-identifying information in the bundle (e.g. your username, host name, etc). You can open it up and read through the logs, they're plain text. If you're concerned, someone at VMware can PM you with upload instructions.

Personally, I don't think there's anything really sensitive in it so posting here is fine (and is slightly easier), but it's up to you.

0 Kudos
ajfisher
Contributor
Contributor

Had a look through and didn't see anything. So... here's my diagnostics.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi, trying to reproduced, I messaged you, let me know if you don't see those questions.

0 Kudos
DenverTRex
Contributor
Contributor

Ughhh - same here. Takes forever to load on my Mac Pro / 768GB Ram. Sluggish after it finally loads.

DenverTRex@gmail.com

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Try starting a new thread (the other one is 10 years old).  We'll need to know the host and guest configuration (cores, ram, hardware version), OS version, etc.

0 Kudos