VMware Communities
bmgid
Contributor
Contributor

VM Fusion w/Seagate Free Agent external HDD

Mac OS X only supports reading from Seagate Free Agent external HDDs.

If I install VM Fusion, run a Win XP Home VM, will the USB drive on my MacBookPro let me read write with this external HDD while in Windows?

I am concerned that the Mac OS will still be primary while running a VM and not let me read write to this drive. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bruce

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not familiar with the product, but I would expect it to work (assuming you can do this normally in XP). Just be sure to give the device to XP and not try to use it through a shared folder or something.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Is the drive formatted NTFS or FAT32? OSX can only read NTFS. I had not tried my 750GB Free Agent drive striaght out of the box on my MBP so I don't remember if it was preformatted NTFS or not.

If you can't reformat your drive to FAT32, then you can use something like NTFS-3G to allow OSX to read & write to NTFS. (I use this with my Western Digital HD, which is formated NTFS.)

bmgid
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip on NTFS-3G. I will give it try since I do not think the free agent drive supports FAT32 and that way I should more likely be able to do both, read write on Mac and the Win VM.

0 Kudos
discoian
Contributor
Contributor

I have a Seagate Freeagent and it works fine with Fusion and Mac OS X assuming the drive is formatted as FAT32/FAT.

0 Kudos