VMware Communities
sesamme
Contributor
Contributor

VM Fusion doesn't see an existing Windows volume

Hi

I am trying to run an existing legacy Windows 10 installation on my Mac OS High Sierra. I have a hackintosh with 2 identical Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB harddrives - one has Mac OS High Sierra installed, another has Windows 10. Both can boot normally from the startup boot menu.

I was told that VM Fusion can use an existing Windows installation via the Boot Camp option, but unfortunately it doesn't see this volume. It can see another volume, which I use for backups, but not the Windows 10.

any solutions here?

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There are at least two issues here.

First and foremost... a hackintosh is not supported.

Second, if you have identical disks then due to how macOS presents those and the way VMware Fusion identifies them, VMware Fusion might not be able to see the second disk.
There's a thread somewhere about this, I'm sorry, but I'm not able to find it now.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
sesamme
Contributor
Contributor

hmm, according to the hackintosh forum it can work - at least it worked for somebody (in this thread the question was about Parallels, but there is a reply from the moderator that he uses Fusion to run Windows from another drive on a hackintosh): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/windows-on-separate-drive-and-parallels.228566/

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not supported, just means that "not supported".

It does not mean it can't work, it might.. but you're pretty much on your own as the hardware platform isn't tested against.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva