VMware Communities
Fischerman7229
Contributor
Contributor

VM Fusion and XP Installation with major issues-- Need Help

We just purchased a new 1MAC and put VM Ware Fusion on it on the recommendation of Apple over Parrellel (recommended by some Mac users).

We have been in the PC World and my wife has to communicate with vendors using IE6 and XP Professional with 32 bit. This appeared to be an interesting opportunity for her to go virtual with access to Outlook and have access to other programs for developing movies and slideshows for her travel web site. After more than 4 hours in the store and then being told we would be up and running within an hour and half, I now have more than 15 hours of trying to get this to run with tech support (very little if any from Apple) and none from VMWare. Not even a response to email.

We had to bring the computer up from OSX for it to take the VMWare. It rejected Fusion on the initial attempt even though it was a licensed version from Apple. The upgrade to the system took 3 hours. When I attempted another installation of VM Fusion it installed in less than 5 minutes but without VM Tools and the 2.01 upgrade. It gave me error codes that I could not continue until we had completed this. Any attempts to get the 2.01 were blocked for 24 hours by a request for an ID. This was a registered copy. Finally, while standing in an Apple store it all came up in the Application file and I was able to install the 2.01 upgrade and VM Tools. VM Tools dropped off the menu the next day. When I try and reinstall Tools I get nothing. I have shut down Windows XP as the guest/virtual machine several times. It continues to restart itself.

Fusion took our OEM version of Windows XP and Office Professional; however, the supplemental discs for SP2 and 3 with IE upgrades from 2 to 6 were rejected.I have an IOMEGA Drive with all backup files for operating systems and documents and it shows in MAC but not in Fusion even though I have the wonderful Microsoft blue background screen.

My external Iomega hard drive is recognized in MAC but not in VM. Therefor, I can not download additional Windows and program data for virtualization.

Jeff Fischer

0 Kudos
5 Replies
klg1
Contributor
Contributor

I wish I had good news for you. Unfortunately, your experience with Fusion 2.0.1 sounds a lot like mine so far - one show-stopper after another.

I've got to say that, as a new Mac user, Fusion is ruining my expectation of user-friendliness and relative intuitiveness (versus the Microsoft products of late) that I held in such high regard.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Fischerman7229
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to hear it. I have two NERDS that have been working with me in the

last 8 hours since the posting. We were up until 2:30 a.m. MST with one

from California and another is taking control and redoing my new computer

remotely from NYC right now. We are getting ready to reinstall VM Ware,

run fixes and patches that he is aware of. I will be very glad to share.

I posted that notice at VMWare and Apple and expected to hear from more

people. I found other people with installation issues like ours from XP Pro

to MAC buried in other areas of the discussion board with a variety of

solutions on VM Ware and they announced 2.02 upgrade today. Wonderful. I

have a lot of confidence in the product when I can not even get a tech to

talk to respond to e-mail. So much for Indian Tech Support.

I am building a digest of issues that will go to Apple, VMWare and the

communities including Microsoft.

Jeffrey C. Fischer

MBA's Inc.

Business and Organizational Management Consultants

6876 East Edgewood Way

Highlands Ranch, CO 80130

303-683-9369

mbasinc@comcast.net

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Jeff -

If you peruse the following and post the requested info, we'd be in a much better position to try and answer your questions, even here in sunny Palo Alto.

How to Ask and Answer Questions

Thanks!

Kevin

Fischerman7229
Contributor
Contributor

Kevin and the Community,

Thanks for the documents. It would have been nice to find these earlier when I was trying to get up and running. We are still not in the VM and MAC World.

Right now, we are in the process of doing a full re-installation and update of all programs.

MAC is starting to perform some functions and right now, the VM is being upgraded to 2.02.

The error messages that I got at the beginning requiring passwords, identification after registering a copy of VM Fusion purchased from Apple have not re-appeared.

We just finished about 20 minutes of screen flashing. It would flash up and down and pulsate like a strobe light.

VM Tools has not been configured at this point.

None of the Microsoft XP Professional OS has been installed. That will take another 2 to 3 hours the way this is going.

All of the Office 2003 upgrades have been rejected.

Internet Explorer 6.0 has disappeared from the downloads. Safari will work for some items but if my wife is on the Windows side, she will be looking for IE.

Outlook has not opened. It was installed and locked down. It demanded Outlook Express and Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher for functionality. None of this makes sense because we have not used Outlook Express and Internet Explorder 4.0 is severely out of date. Her travel business requires IE 6.0. This is on a hard drive for down load but as of 11:30 p.m. last night VMWare Fusion was not recognizing the Iomega Hard Drive. It was viewable as an external hard drive on the MAC. Go figure.

I still have not heard from VMWare in response to e-mails and calls from Monday and Tuesday. My call yesterday resulted in an "inappropriate comment" from a tech to a supervisor who then told me it was not their issue but MAC's and disconnected my call. I admit I am a "dumb Joe" coming to the MAC world from PC and Microsoft training. There are so many different command and verbages.

All help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Jeff Fischer

0 Kudos
Fischerman7229
Contributor
Contributor

To the VM Ware Community:

I promised several callers and e-mailers that when we got this situation resolved, I would post information for the community.

Well, the final result is 60 hours of working with Apple, HP, VMWare and technical support including two great people from Nerds On Site, one a MAC expert and another Windows.

If you need MAC support call the man to talk with is James Marino, Nerds On Site, , phone 646-873-7695. James held our hands during 45 of the more than 60 hours involved with the migration and configuration. He was patient, knowlegable and worked through or located all of the MAC issues to expedite the process as much as possible. He knows Fusion and Parallels. He is based in New York. Please keep in mind the time difference. If you send him an e-mail he responds. He has a young family so please be considerate.

If you need Windows, then talk with "Yanni." His phone is 877-696-3737. E-mail is . Yanni is a straight talker, right to the point. He and James share this trait. When they are focused on a solution let them go.

Please tell both of them that you were referred by Cynthia Fischer from Cruise Planners of Highlands Ranch and her husband Jeff Fischer.

My conclusion is that we were probably jinxed from the start. However, James Marino, the Nerd's MAC expert, hung in there and worked with us until the bitter end; including but not limited to assisting in migrating programs and documents back to the XP Professional computer. His support went way beyond any technical support from VM Ware, Apple or HP. The items that I got from the VM Ware community allowed us to work through the systems. We discovered several items.:

1. If Apple tech support had not insisted we activate and run Boot Camp we would have saved between 6 and 8 hours.

2. Apple tech support insisted we needed Bonjour to run, we did not.

3. Apple tech support and store personnel insisted repeatedly said they could not support VM Ware even when they sell it on their web site and the VM Ware server.

4. If MAC and Apple are interested in winning Windows customers, they do need to make sure they get iWorks on a computer. When we discussed this with the Apple store (we had given them a detailed hit list) they shrugged their shoulders. It would have speeded up the process and simplified our lives. It may have added some interactive functions that we had requested between MAC and Windows. Several community members have expressed surprise we did not have this on the system.

5. We have received 3 e-mails of web site pages on the www.vmware.com site. This has been the sum of of technical support after using bypasses to talk with some of their people and being called a "dumb joe" by one person in India. Lack of technical support after 6 p.m. or a telephone number has hindered our expediting this process. There was a call from a "VM Manager" whose name I did not catch who said he had been monitoring this forum. He promised tech support within 24 hours. No such luck. If it was a bad joke, hope you had lots of laughs.

6. The install of XP Pro went quicker than the upgrades to MAC. However, it still took more than 8 hours to bring everything current from the OEM copy of Windows and Apple's web site. One hour was spent getting "program" updates for iPhone.

7. Safari was no faster than Internet Explorer. We had upgraded to 4 GIG RAM to make sure XP Professional had all the room it needed. On the Apple side it acted like 1 GIG.

8. Maintaining multiple windows was never sustainable so much for drag and drop into Expose and Space. They continued from day one going into one window.

9. We got a defective mouse and keyboard and the store was willing to exchange at no cost.

10. We got told that we had 30 days to return and get a full refund with no penalty, our receipt says Feb. 23. We are gone. It is going back. The inability to utilize the keyboard, get information from Apple tech support ( can you tell me what the function keys do? I'll send you an e-mail. Hell is freezing over.) We run an 18 hour operation out of our home. Time, e-mail access is essential. Non-access to Outlook from the MAC side helped his this deal. MAC mail is way behind. We never could migrate a calendar over. Bad move Apple.

11. We did learn that migration of MAC to MAC is quick and easy (less than 2 hours). We learned that Windows to MAC is a week out of your life.

12. Is virtualization ready for the marketplace? I don't know. Are we headed for common operating systems? Not yet.

This has been an interesting experience. Very frustrating. Very time consuming. We have lost a substantial amount of income producing time sitting on hold waiting for programs to migrate, asking techs to speak in English and not Tek Speak) and searching for applications and systems that seem to move around.

We can not commend the techs I listed above enough for their assistance and guidance. I can not thank the VM Ware community members who responded with direct e-mails and suggestions and the few die hard MAC users who helped keep the focus. Thank you all many times over.

Jeffrey C. Fischer

MBA's Inc.

Business and Organizational Management Consultants

6876 East Edgewood Way

Highlands Ranch, CO 80130

303-683-9369

0 Kudos