VMware Communities
Bushman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Fusion - SVGA II video driver

Hi there.

I recently loaded up VMware Fusion 1.1 + Vista Premium x32 on my MacBook Pro. Many of my Vista programs, like Windows DVD Maker or Movie Maker will not work... get message: video card does not meet minimum system requirements (does not support DirectX 9). When I check Nvidia website, it states "GeForce 8600M GS GPU allows you to enjoy the ultimate Windows Vista experience". So, the video card has the capabilities but the virtual VMware SVGA II video driver is somehow downgrading the capabilities of the GeForce 8600M video card.

I have reset the VMware Fusion display setting to accelerate 3D graphics. I was hoping the the VMware fusion truely supported Windows Vista.

Has anyone out there encountered similar problems, or know of a solution?

Frustrated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wingdo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fusion does not currently support DirectX 9, I believe the best it supports is DirectX 8. Fusion is fully Vista capable except for the DirectX 9 components (i.e. the Vista Aero look).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wingdo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fusion does not currently support DirectX 9, I believe the best it supports is DirectX 8. Fusion is fully Vista capable except for the DirectX 9 components (i.e. the Vista Aero look).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion currently supports DirectX 9.0 without shaders (not 9.0a, 9.0b, etc.)

Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready PCs

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/capable.mspx

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

: Virtual Hardware

Bushman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for posting quick responses!

VMware Fusion advertises..."the most seamless way to run Windows on your Mac"..."supports x32 Windows Vista Ultimate"... if I knew that VMware Fusion was just Vista "capable", I wouldn't have such high expectations for VMware Fusion to run the Vista OS programs. In fact, I would have purchased a cheap version of XP instead (save memory and dollars).

I can get Fusion to run DirectX 9, but it does not run the shaders as WoodyZ points out, which means that you are stuck with some Vista programs that will not work.

I would hope that VMware Fusion support would address this issue soon, as this is a software issue.

Disappointed!

0 Kudos