VMware Communities
vmwtece
Contributor
Contributor

VM Fusion Player Version 12.1.0 (17195230) - Failed to Power On < Vm Volume Name>

Hi,

This morning my Windows VM refused to power up.   I updated the Windows OS last night (usual Windows update of virus defs etc) and after a while stopped working and froze the snapshot.

This morning it won't power on.  Or my Linux OS.  Both give similar messages:

Failed to power on '/Volumes/VM-3/Windows 10 x64 2.vmwarevm/Windows 10 x64 2.vmx'

I see there is a lock folder in the snapshot image:  'Windows 10 x64 2.vmx.lck' .  There is no vmware.log from today, only last nights shutdown log, which appears normal.

Where do I go from here?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Right... try the troubleshooting steps from this post, probably not the ones on the first page, but once Zhaokaiy joins the discussion things get interesting.
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/quot-Failed-to-power-on-quot/td-p/281143...

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
torchredfrc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @wila , I actually read through that thread earlier today too and tried all of those options as well. I'll post there and hope Zhaokaiy replies to my question. Getting into a time crunch here for some work I need to complete in the VM's. Hopefully he can help resolve this issue.

0 Kudos