VMware Communities
vmwtece
Contributor
Contributor

VM Fusion Player Version 12.1.0 (17195230) - Failed to Power On < Vm Volume Name>

Hi,

This morning my Windows VM refused to power up.   I updated the Windows OS last night (usual Windows update of virus defs etc) and after a while stopped working and froze the snapshot.

This morning it won't power on.  Or my Linux OS.  Both give similar messages:

Failed to power on '/Volumes/VM-3/Windows 10 x64 2.vmwarevm/Windows 10 x64 2.vmx'

I see there is a lock folder in the snapshot image:  'Windows 10 x64 2.vmx.lck' .  There is no vmware.log from today, only last nights shutdown log, which appears normal.

Where do I go from here?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
vmwtece
Contributor
Contributor

Any help out there?  Still broken today in the same way.

0 Kudos
vmwtece
Contributor
Contributor

This thread appears to address the same issue:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/VMWARE-FUSION-12-MAC-OS-BIG-SUR-11/td-p/...

But in order to get into the Settings, the VM has to be power-off.   My VMs are all in the suspended mode.

How do I get them into a Power down state if I can't even start them from the suspended state?

Thanks

0 Kudos
vmwtece
Contributor
Contributor

Using the option key allowed me to 'Power Off' the VM.

Using the option (Apples ALT key) then allowed me to turn off the advanced options:

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 6.07.56 PM.png

But nothing changed,  I still get this error:

Failure to power onFailure to power on

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Still no logs?

-
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
vmwtece
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

A voice at last.  And alas no logs of any kind.  - Generates some .plist files, but no log files.

Thanks

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Weird.

You also mention it is not just the one VM, but another unrelated VM has the same issue.
One thing to try is to reboot the host.
If that doesn't help.. try a reinstall of VMware Fusion Player.

You might have tried all that already though.

The vmware-vmfusion.log might have more details.
It can be found at:  ~/Library/Logs/VMware\ Fusion

If you don't know how-to get that then you can also create a support bundle from the help menu and attach that.

Files might need to be zipped before they can be attached.

BTW, forgot to ask, did you already remove the lock folders? (With VMware Fusion shut down)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
vmwtece
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried rebooting the host many times.

I have re-installed version 12.1 many times.

Yes I have exactly the same problem with a Linux VM, that was in standby mode too, but I have not opened in week or so.

I have attached some logs including the latest ~/Library/Logs/VMWare\ Fusion log.

Thanks

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Almost 3am down here, so might have missed something, but here's an idea.

In the vmx log you attached I noticed that this line:
Module 'ULM' initialization failed.

Which made me remember that it might simply be a matter of missing the Side Channel Mitigations.

I have not seen this problem myself, but others have reported that their VM did not start without that enabled.

Eg. go to settings -> Advanced -> Uncheck "Disable Side Channel Mitigations"

(and for sanity's sake, if the side channel mitigations are already enabled, try it disabled too)

Now off to catch the much needed zzz's

--
Wil

0 Kudos
vmwtece
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

Tried the setting every which way.  On /  off.  Off / on.   No change.

Attempted settings changeAttempted settings change

0 Kudos
asDEBASTOS
Contributor
Contributor

hi there!

Same issue here MBAir M1 2020, big sur 11.2.3, fusion pro 12.1.1, unable to boot any vm

Fresh start, all settings in place

Any help apreciated

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@asDEBASTOS wrote:

Same issue here MBAir M1 2020, big sur 11.2.3, fusion pro 12.1.1, unable to boot any vm

Different issue, TS could start their VM's the day before, at least according to their opening post.
You have never been able to run your VM's on that fresh new hardware.

The reason it doesn't work on your Macbook Air is that the M1 processor is not -yet- supported.

Note also that once it is supported that you're not likely to be able to run any of your old VM's anyways as your old VM's are for the intel processor and not for an Arm processor.
See also the following thread for more details:

VMware Fusion 12 running on Apple Silicon

--
Wil

0 Kudos
torchredfrc
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this same issue, upgraded to Big Sur and VMware Fusion 12 -- cannot start any VM, even a creating a brand new one. My permissions are all correct on the Virtual Machines folder but none of my VM's can start.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Torchredfrc,

The log you attached shows that the VM cannot power on. Sadly it does not provide a reason for why it cannot power on.

Can you please also attach the vmware.log file for the Windows 10 x64 vm?
You can find it by right clicking on the vm bundle, then select "Show Package Contents" from the list and locate the vmware.log file(s) in the folder. If there's more than 1 vmware.log file then you can zip/compress these together so that you can attach them here to a reply.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
torchredfrc
Contributor
Contributor

I am not seeing a log file at all in the package contents.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Umm.. that's not a VM with content...
None of the files is over 1MB in size, it's a new VM or at least completely empty.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
torchredfrc
Contributor
Contributor

You're correct - the existing VM's do the same thing and the log files have not been updated since the last time they were successfully able to start.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Like I said no real hint in the other log either..
What I would try in your case is to completely uninstall VMware Fusion.

Then reboot macOS - just making sure there are no left overs - and download a new full install copy from here:
https://vmware.com/go/getfusion

and install once more.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
torchredfrc
Contributor
Contributor

I completely removed Fusion using these instructions:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838

No luck, same problem. Tried letting it make a new "Virtual Machines" folder and no difference. Tried a Ubuntu ISO, no log created but same error.

0 Kudos
torchredfrc
Contributor
Contributor

I should add, I logged into my account and downloaded a fresh copy of Fusion as well.

0 Kudos