VMware Communities
jcip02
Contributor
Contributor

VM Crashing on Launch

I have a Windows 2000 Server VM that crashes Fusion when I launch the VM. Before this behavior we had to power cycle the host mac because it was frozen and non responsive. Any idea on how I could get the VM to boot or mount the virtual disk so I can attempt data recovery? Attached is the vmware-vmfusion.log if it is of any help.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi and welcome

the vmdk is badly corrupted.

You maybe able to fix by running

vmware-vdiskmanager -R against the corrupt vmdk-file

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

jcip02
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunaltey, that's what I thought. The logs seemed pretty pissed off about one of the files. Running that command on the vmdk file that's giving me trouble resulted in the following output:

NOT_IMPLEMENTED bora/lib/disklib/sparseChecker.c:1279
Core dump limit is 0 KB.
Child process 9953 failed to dump core (status 0x6).
VMware Fusion Error:
VMware Fusion unrecoverable error: (app-2688103680)
NOT_IMPLEMENTED bora/lib/disklib/sparseChecker.c:1279
Please request support.
To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Information" from the Help menu.
You can also run "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool" directly.
We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

That seems not so good. On the plus side, I imported the virtual machine into Parallels (I'm also shocked and in disbelief) and it booted. I'm in the process of trying to recover the data now. If you have any other ideas please let me know. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

which version of Fusion do you run ?

some of the recent versions have a problem with vdiskmanager and so the repair may not work.

There should be a document about this but I don't find it right now

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos