VMware Communities
johnpierson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Converted machine sound doesn't work

Hi, I used VM Converter to make an image of my laptop (XP SP2) and took the files into a single folder dumping it where my other virtual machines are (Fedora Core 7 and a XP Pro patched to SP2). Now the FC6 and XP Pro patched machines were installed work perfectly.

The Converted laptop image OS.. the sound card doesn't work. Normally I would remove the hardware and reboot to have Windows rediscover the hardware, remove the driver and reboot to reinstall. But apparently this isn't an option. How can I get the sound to work on the Converted virtual machine?

How can I get the sound working?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK, that makes sense.

At present, VMware Converter 3.0.x emits Workstation 5 VMs, missing Fusion-specific features (including the right sound device to work on the Mac). The easiest way to get a converted VM involves discarding the .vmx file written by Converter and keeping only the .vmdk.

You use Fusion's New Virtual Machine wizard; when you get to the screen that asks you about which virtual disk to use, point it at the virtual disk written by Converter. (The option to do this is under "Advanced disk options.")

!http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1091/708786208_30b5023ea3_o.png!

The result will be a true Fusion VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Out of curiosity, which set of instructions did you follow to migrate the VM: the RC1 instructions (where you go through the New Virtual Machine wizard) or the beta instructions (where you did not)?

I suspect that you built this VM with the beta instructions. If you completely shut down the VM and go into the Settings dialogue, you'll probably see "Sound" listed under Removable Devices in the left-hand panel. Highlight it, click the minus button to delete it, and then click the plus button and add a sound adapter back again. OK your way out of that dialogue and power the VM back off, Windows should detect the new sound device and add drivers for it.

0 Kudos
johnpierson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Migration:

I booted my laptop using the VM Converter CDROM and ran though the wizard step by step. The essentially was a p2v "cold" conversion.

Once this was done, I took the entire directory and dumped it into my MacBook Pro. Clicking on one of the files/icon with the extention .VMX, activated Fusion and I told Fusion that the VM was copied. Then it booted up.

I didn't use the "beta instructions".

I've looked for the Settings dialog and there isn't a subheading of "sound" under removable devices.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK, that makes sense.

At present, VMware Converter 3.0.x emits Workstation 5 VMs, missing Fusion-specific features (including the right sound device to work on the Mac). The easiest way to get a converted VM involves discarding the .vmx file written by Converter and keeping only the .vmdk.

You use Fusion's New Virtual Machine wizard; when you get to the screen that asks you about which virtual disk to use, point it at the virtual disk written by Converter. (The option to do this is under "Advanced disk options.")

!http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1091/708786208_30b5023ea3_o.png!

The result will be a true Fusion VM.

0 Kudos
johnpierson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you! The VM works perfectly!

0 Kudos
erichtn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had the same problem with a Windows 2000 VM that I created using Converter. This solution worked perfectly for me as well. Thanks.

0 Kudos
BeeCee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After following instructions, I got this:

"insert an installation disk"

I downloaded V1.0 and then used converter 3.0

What disk is it looking for?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What's giving the prompt? The guest (which OS), Fusion, OS X? My guess is it wants a Windows installation disk.

0 Kudos
BeeCee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I resolved it by unchecking the "Start new machine" box, then picking renamed VM from the list. I had to open and close the VM, but now it's working!

Only problem now is I am getting a message at startup regrding the scsi buslogic driver and XP and being directed to download driver file (which I did), but I am not smart enough yet to figure out where this is supposed to go.

Anyway, thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Look at this thread for instructions on how to use the driver file that vmware provides:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=99936&tstart=0

0 Kudos